• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 conversion to M1028

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had my 1031 for over a year now and have primarily been working on getting it up and running. It now starts on its own and drives down the street with no leaks (well, I haven't looked at it today). My young daughters enjoy getting to drive it off-road.

This journey started out with my 9 yr old and I putting in what I thought would be a losing bid on a 1031. She thought it would be a fun project and I was trying to impress her with my stupidity. Well, the bidding stalled out at my max bid and I had to have that uncomfortable discussion with my wife. Since then, I've learned a lot about these trucks. I had to trouble shoot the glow plugs, replace seals and install a slip yoke eliminator on the NP205, replace oil cooler hoses, source and install a rear bumper, fix every single light, and rebuild the radiator.

Now that the truck seems to be sticking around and my oldest wants it as her first vehicle, I'm looking to convert the 1031 to a 1028. I thought I had someone interested in the box to do a swap but the bed was in really rough shape and that doesn't seem to be working out. The local scrap yard will take the box if I cut it up for them. I've found a few decent civilian beds in the salvage yards. From my forum searches, I think I need to get the filler neck with the bed in order to get the correct angle.

Also from the local salvage yards, I'm going to be getting a section of roof to fix some undisclosed rust in the A-pillar and roof sections.

I'm looking forward to see how this goes.

Here's a few before pictures.

Attachments

Monkeyboyarmy

If only I was on the other coast. That bed should be worth quite a bit in scrap since it is all aluminum. I just hope it doesn't end up there. Are there any components still left in it?

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
….That bed should be worth quite a bit in scrap since it is all aluminum. I just hope it doesn't end up there. Are there any components still left in it?
The local scrap guy wants it cut up in pieces the size of the side doors if he were to take it. I'm not certain about doing that yet.

It has the generator and the compressor. I've had the generator working but right now it doesn't seem like the RPMS come up enough to get the frequency right to run anything. I've never had the compressor working. I really wasn't needing that part although it might've been useful with the power out on Saturday.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, I would hope someone comes up with a trade. I hate to see a truck like that changed over but I certainly understand. I have an ambulance that I may do the same, can't seem to sell it.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, I would hope someone comes up with a trade. I hate to see a truck like that changed over but I certainly understand. I have an ambulance that I may do the same, can't seem to sell it.
I did find someone interested with a bed but they are 27 hrs each way. I can't think of a creative shipping option to make that happen.

For my use, the box isn't the way to go. I see it as repurposing the truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did find someone interested with a bed but they are 27 hrs each way. I can't think of a creative shipping option to make that happen.

For my use, the box isn't the way to go. I see it as repurposing the truck.
Trust me, I understand. Seems that whatever we need is on the opposite coast. If it does go to scrap and you have time, it might be.worth it to offer up the doors, lights and such for sale. You probably won't get rich but might really help someone out.

Glockfan

I done the exact same thing to mine... I fully understand why you are doing it. The tool body was of no use to me. I did find a friend who wanted to adapt the utility body to a trailer of some sort. I have not regretted converting my truck one bit. I wish that I had a "before" pic but here is my M1031 in M1028A1 format...

elPito.jpg

tourus

I as well would like some parts I would like all the controls for the PTO off the engine for my 1031. so maybe think about selling what you can to fund buying and fixing a regular bed. what I need is all of the stuff that goes with the PTO.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start the bidding over in classifieds?
I think this might be the route I'm going to go. I did find a perfect swap but it's 3600 miles round trip from me. The M1031 needs tires really bad and it won't make the trip without them. The first step in that process would be to add a lift but I need to move the box to get to the rear shackles. And then there's the week of travel to get there and back. Shipping quote for my box was $1800 alone. I just can't seem to make it work out where it's reasonable for all parties.

I'm going to be grabbing some more pictures later today and I'm trying to figure out how to be able to post to the classifieds after becoming a premium member.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been slow going due to work but here's the current view.

Ju78qbd.jpg

I'm still working on getting parts out and thinking of the next steps.

I have several paths. Might be blasting the paint off for body work or suspension and tires to still drive it around. The current tires are so old that I'm getting some death wobble when the pressure drops on them.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. So it's been quite a while since I've done much other than to drive it around and find/fix issues.

My latest has been chasing down the severe death wobble. I was having a few compounding issues. At first it was when the road was a bit uneven (not often in LA but it still happens) and it would happen. I replaced the top king pin bushing and spring. Instead of the spring I put in a rubber isolater. That seemed to fix the large clunk in when I turned the wheel.

I then started to experience death wobble whenever at speeds of 30 mph. That's when I discovered the drivers tire had failed and the belt broke.

The spare went on but there was still some movement in the bottom king pin. I've just replaced the king pin on the bottom. The bearing had some slop in it. That might've happened when we were driving in the desert.

I still need to find some doner parts. The passenger side A-pillar has rusted through. Might be dusting off some metal working skills I never really had.

The other issue has been leaking fuel out of the filter block. The fuel pressure sensor was the source. I tried the JB weld twice but it still leaks. I'm probably going with the Duramax set up to fix it. My first worst idea was to try and weld it shut. I've had some time to think that one over and now feel like the new set up would be best for all invovled.

Attachments

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally have the truck out of the garage. I tackled the kingpins and fixed my fuel filter leak by replacing the fuel filter assembly.

It no longer leaks but I still have a death wobble. The old tires are the last thing we need to replace to fix that.

Keith_J

New, larger tires on 8.5 inch wide replica rims cured my death wobble. I had a failed belt on Commercial TAs so that was an issue too.
Cannot say enough about having 12 kW of power after our Valentine's Day blizzard and 96 hour power outage. Needed the 4 wheel drive 90% of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks