• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy here: wondering why folks convert to super singles?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Intros are needed first: My name is Rex and I live in Austin, TX. I'm prior military and have always had the itch to buy a deuce or such after spending some time driving them around Army bases. That and I like to buy money-sucking projects where my wife thinks I'm an idiot. So to scratch that itch, I'm looking at picking up a M923/M939/etc. but am leaning towards the versions with tandem 11.00R20's instead of super singles. From my foxhole, the 11R20s offer better road wear ability and life. Plus, if one of the tandems goes flat, I can still limp along for a while. I can't do that with super singles. My use for the truck will be ranch work (moving/hauling dirt and road base to build trails, dragging cedar/brush to burn pile, etc) so I'm thinking a dump bed conversion will be my first modification. I'm not planning to drive down rough, muddy tank trails where I think the super singles are really needed and excel in performance. When not traveling on highway to the gravel quarry 10 miles away for roadbase, etc, I'll just be on hard ball roads and hard pack trails. And I think the tandems are better for heavy hauling anyway. So, other than looks and cool factor, is there a reason to switch to super single tires? I'm assuming singles cost more to maintain and replace in general?

PS- I love forums like this. I'm on a few car and diesel truck forums so understand the etiquette and appreciation for all the work you guys put into keeping this forum useful and social. I did a lot of searching on the forum regarding tire preferences but haven't found a good answer.

Rex

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The super single tires seem to be more and more common in the surplus market these days. Also they are usually taller, so you can get higher highway speeds at the same RPM's you would have with the shorter duals. Beyond that, I think it just comes down to personal preference. I prefer the 16.00 XZL's. HPIM2329.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
As Damon said the 11R20 tires in the surplus market are getting hard to find. You use to not be able to give G177s away and now they are highly sought after. He likes 1600s cause he just looks at his truck as it never moves. HA!

As far as common place and availability as well as increase road speed you can go to an 11R22.5 or 12R22.5. It will allow you to run duals and you can get the tires at any local truck tire place. This would allow you to run a 445 65 22.5 up front for a wider steer tire. And just keep an extra rear tire/wheel for a spare cause they can all interchange. They even make a Goodyear G177 in 12R24 and 12R24.5 better take out a 2nd mortgage for a set of those puppies though.

1600s are cheap these days, so are 395s.... If you are looking at doing mostly just farm stuff then you could modify some wheels and run dual 395/85/20s on the rear of it.

1600s can handle more weight capacity than dual 11R20s per axle. They are just as stable as duals. G177s are rated at 6780 in dual mode x 2 = 13,560. Compared to a 1600 Goodyear AT3 and Michelin XZL are both rated at 14,540lbs.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to site! The other guys have the “why super singles?” covered pretty well. I have always liked the look of the big singles and they are really hard to beat off-road in a 939A2 truck with functional CTIS!

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Just thought they looked better. My truck is just a toy for me so I put singles in it just because. Always thought that pizza cutter up front didn't look right

162tcat

Intros are needed first: My name is Rex and I live in Austin, TX. I'm prior military and have always had the itch to buy a deuce or such after spending some time driving them around Army bases. That and I like to buy money-sucking projects where my wife thinks I'm an idiot. So to scratch that itch, I'm looking at picking up a M923/M939/etc. but am leaning towards the versions with tandem 11.00R20's instead of super singles. From my foxhole, the 11R20s offer better road wear ability and life. Plus, if one of the tandems goes flat, I can still limp along for a while. I can't do that with super singles. My use for the truck will be ranch work (moving/hauling dirt and road base to build trails, dragging cedar/brush to burn pile, etc) so I'm thinking a dump bed conversion will be my first modification. I'm not planning to drive down rough, muddy tank trails where I think the super singles are really needed and excel in performance. When not traveling on highway to the gravel quarry 10 miles away for roadbase, etc, I'll just be on hard ball roads and hard pack trails. And I think the tandems are better for heavy hauling anyway. So, other than looks and cool factor, is there a reason to switch to super single tires? I'm assuming singles cost more to maintain and replace in general?

PS- I love forums like this. I'm on a few car and diesel truck forums so understand the etiquette and appreciation for all the work you guys put into keeping this forum useful and social. I did a lot of searching on the forum regarding tire preferences but haven't found a good answer.

Rex
In addition to what the other guys have mentioned the 1100's absolutely suck on the steer axle in soft ground. If you're loaded, you feel like you're going to roll the 1100 off the rim or sink it to the axle in anything that isn't pavement or packed gravel. 1200's or 395's are probably the best choice. With 1200's you can still run duals.

I've also seen quite a few blown out 1100s that looked to be in great condition and weren't that old. I think it's because they hold a lot more heat due to being tubes and there closer to max load on the front axle. Super singles are tubeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AAAhhh. Top speed, surplus availability, and off road steering are pretty good reasons to go with super singles. I'm assuming that means a complete set of wheels too, right? We'll have to see what becomes available in the local market but I wanted to walk in with some knowledge of this gotcha's I should watch out for. Obviously I need a lot of catching up to do in the knowledge department but I can tell I'm in good hands here. Is there a good thread or sticky about the various types of wheel/tire combos?

As for the rally, I'll mark it on my calendar. Would be great to walk around and get first hand info about all the different types of trucks, engines, axles, etc. I'm just starting to scratch the surface.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Damon said the 11R20 tires in the surplus market are getting hard to find. You use to not be able to give G177s away and now they are highly sought after. He likes 1600s cause he just looks at his truck as it never moves. HA!

You got me there, No one else moves their truck as much as you do Wes. ALL trucks looks like they never move compared to yours. LOL Although yours does look good on the 16.00's

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and hobby.
Super singles are FAR superior to twins on the rear, NO other army in the world fits duel wheels on the rear of Combat fighting (Cross country and desert) vehicles.
And better lower R.P.M. Cruise,
And better M.P.G.
And better steering (Especially in the wet and snow).
And (Typically) better wear characteristics.
And......'Looks'.

Attachments

Last edited:

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter

As far as common place and availability as well as increase road speed you can go to an 11R22.5 or 12R22.5. It will allow you to run duals and you can get the tires at any local truck tire place. This would allow you to run a 445 65 22.5 up front for a wider steer tire. And just keep an extra rear tire/wheel for a spare cause they can all interchange. They even make a Goodyear G177 in 12R24 and 12R24.5 better take out a 2nd mortgage for a set of those puppies though.

1600s are cheap these days, so are 395s.... If you are looking at doing mostly just farm stuff then you could modify some wheels and run dual 395/85/20s on the rear of it.

1600s can handle more weight capacity than dual 11R20s per axle. They are just as stable as duals. G177s are rated at 6780 in dual mode x 2 = 13,560. Compared to a 1600 Goodyear AT3 and Michelin XZL are both rated at 14,540lbs.

Just my 2 cents, my 445r65x22.5's or a lot larger in dia. than an 11r22.5. Like about 5 inches. (46 vs. 41) 1100r24 will match up better to the 445r65x22.5. In 1100 or 1200, 24.5" will be 3" smaller than 24"

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just my 2 cents, my 445r65x22.5's or a lot larger in dia. than an 11r22.5. Like about 5 inches. (46 vs. 41) 1100r24 will match up better to the 445r65x22.5. In 1100 or 1200, 24.5" will be 3" smaller than 24"
It is a typo. Should be 425s up front with 11R22.5s on the rear. It will work fine.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you modify the wheels? I'm assuming there's a spacer between them since the 395's are wider?

77 AMG

Yeah, you can *definitely* tell that my truck is shorter on the 395s' vs the old 1400 XZLs'. That being said, it is nice to be able to hold speed on hills better than it used to. Plus, I can also get them from the local "Giant Tire" outfit cheaper than the larger ones, since alot of the concrete trucks use them. Something to think about, yeah?

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing that I didn’t see mentioned above. The original dual wheel setup on the m939 will have inner tubes and a lock ring on the wheel. The singles will be tube less. As long as bubba didn’t own the truck before you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks