• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Phoenix AZ based mechanic familiar with CUCV

Mojowomyn

Hi all - I searched the posts and found nothing recent on this question. I am looking for a mechanic for some preventative items on my M1010. I was hoping to go to someone familiar with the CUCVs due to the unique requirements of the vehicle. Thank you!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What preventive items are you referring to?
Oil change?
New axle bearings?
???

Part of the fun of owning a CUCV is learning how to maintain them yourself.
Their fairly easy to work on, and once you understand the 12/24 system, it’s not bad at all.
The resources here and available member help and advice is immensely helpful.
Working on the truck yourself allows you to learn the truck with each repair.
Yes it’s a real challenge sometimes, but when you tackle it and succeed, it’s a very rewarding experience.

Items that are almost always sent off to specialized professionals are the Injection Pump, Transmission and Driveshaft.
Most Everything else can be handled yourself with proper tools, skill and determination.
I believe We all learn something new about our CUCVs each time we repair/replace something.

If your wanting someone to do everything, where’s the fun in that?!

MarcusOReallyus

Unless it's electrical, it's pretty much an 84 Chevy K30. Nothing special.

If you don't get a response here, you might want to ask around some 4x4 forums. Might find someone that way, as the square bodies are pretty popular for the off-road crowd.

Last edited:

Mojowomyn

You are right - I should have been more descriptive on what I needed. I am looking for someone to replace seals on tranny and transfer case. (I sprung a slow transfer case leak over the weekend. It dripped for an hour or two and then stopped once I drove a few blocks) Those types of things are WAY above my paygrade.

The good news is I am learning how to do the super basics on my M1010, such as lubrication. It is already converted to total 12V, so that is helpful for a newbie like me as well. The previous owner is a mechanic, and has been showing me the stuff I CAN learn and do on my own.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out!

Mojowomyn

Hi there! The good news is, my girl has been fully converted to 12v. I am really just being a nervous Mama about the whole thing. I am worried about taking it somewhere and they put some kid on it who has never seen something this old. I am the same way with my 1979 Honda motorcycle. Most young folks have not worked on these things unless they work for an old-timer.

Thank you for the reply - I think that is a good idea to go thru other types of sites as well.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Members in the Phoenix area might be able to refer you to a shop that can properly do the job.
Quite a few guys have done the seal replacement themselves.

Since truck has been converted to 12v, your kinda on your own in that area since no one knows what exactly was done to the electrical system.
Your also unable to use the TMs and schematics for troubleshooting.
Most guys keep the stock system, but a lot have done the conversion.
Personal preference.

Mine is all original and works as designed.

Main thing to remember is don’t ignore or put off a known issue.
Small problems can turn into bigger and more expensive problems fast.
CUCVs require a lot of maintenance to keep them happy.
Use the best parts you can afford. It does make a difference

Read through the old threads.
Any issues you might experience, someone else here has usually already dealt with it.

Post some pics of your truck.
We all like pictures of CUCVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks