• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency rescue operations M929a2 prep

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did not make the right choice. If you want to help in the hurricane affected zone along the coast, you need a flat bottom boat. During Harvey, every rescue we did, our high water military trucks could not get to the houses, but boats could. The trucks ended up being ineffective transfer vehicles from dry land to shelters.
Agree, if the water is deep enough to float a boat, a boat is what should be used.

DeadParrot

Might be better to think of the truck as the vehicle that allows you and your crew to carry all the supplies such as food, water, fuel, clothes, etc that you will need during your rescue operations, all while towing the boat(s) needed for the actual rescues. If that truck and its fording gear can get you a few miles closer to where the boats are needed, it saves precious minutes on each round trip the boat has to make.

Be sure to consider the fording height of the boat trailer as well. Might be bad if the truck in doing fine in 18" of water but the boat is lifting the 8" high trailer off the road.

162tcat

The water coming through the windshield videos is what made me buy my truck to begin with. They can do it, but then the amount of work needed for maintenance to do it again reliably several years later is just completely astronomical. Most things on the truck will work underwater, but are not waterproof.

I’d also side with a launchable flatty aluminum boat in the truck bed with a newish outboard that starts quickly and easily. Small bed crane and away you go.
If anyone ever intend to drive through water up to the windshield I suggest you check your air filter canister and intake piping for leaks. I would say at least 50% of the trucks would have a decent sized water leak in the piping at that level of water which will kill the engine before anything else will. It's one thing to drive through that stuff if needed and potentially ruin the truck. It's another to drive into that and have the truck die two minutes into it and put you in harms way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

If anyone ever intend to drive through water up to the windshield I suggest you check your air filter canister and intake piping for leaks. I would say at least 50% of the trucks would have a decent sized water leak in the piping at that level of water which will kill the engine before anything else will. It's one thing to drive through that stuff if needed and potentially ruin the truck. It's another to drive into that and have the truck die two minutes into it and put you in harms way.
Funny you mention that. It was going to be my point, as if the engine dies, then your dead in the water. I thought my air filter canister gasket was good but it was not. Air filter got wet and I was done for. Had to disconnect the piping and had the turbo open. Not what you want to do, but at that moment, I needed to get out of the situation. My plan is to relocate the air filter higher and use an over the road truck style canister mounted on the front passenger corner of the cab. Having the air filter so low is a bad design. In these pictures, I was in roughly 4 foot of water.

Attachments

Ajax MD

LOL...ya think? The NJ ANG drilled 4 holes in mine and riveted one of those HAZMAT signs to the front it!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you plan on going in water and you have time. You simply need a 5 inch 90 degree stove pipe or air duct pipe. This will allow you to quickly remove the tube on the drivers side on a A1 939 truck and set the filter and those pieces on the inner fender liner and pipe it into the intake

Same thing can be done on the A2 trucks just flip your flex hose around

Inner fender liner is pretty high and better you can see than an unknown gasket. This mod takes about 5mins and Clint calls it the rainbird

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the story on that picture? I don't recall a thread on that, but I might have missed it. That does not look like it ended well.
I cant remember the thread, but I think they claimed that truck supposedly ran all night like that then finally died the next morning when they where dragging it out.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the story on that picture? I don't recall a thread on that, but I might have missed it. That does not look like it ended well.
There was a thread on it and Jbulach is correct on the details. I think I remember it being during one of the hurricanes or floods last year. I searched for the thread for a good while yesterday....then saw a squirrel, causing my ADD to flair up, which led to a wasted hour on Youtube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks