Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Emergency rescue operations M929a2 prep

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NDT View Post
    You did not make the right choice. If you want to help in the hurricane affected zone along the coast, you need a flat bottom boat. During Harvey, every rescue we did, our high water military trucks could not get to the houses, but boats could. The trucks ended up being ineffective transfer vehicles from dry land to shelters.
    Agree, if the water is deep enough to float a boat, a boat is what should be used.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmitall For This Useful Post:

Floridianson (02-09-2019)

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Might be better to think of the truck as the vehicle that allows you and your crew to carry all the supplies such as food, water, fuel, clothes, etc that you will need during your rescue operations, all while towing the boat(s) needed for the actual rescues. If that truck and its fording gear can get you a few miles closer to where the boats are needed, it saves precious minutes on each round trip the boat has to make.

Be sure to consider the fording height of the boat trailer as well. Might be bad if the truck in doing fine in 18" of water but the boat is lifting the 8" high trailer off the road.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadParrot For This Useful Post:

Ajax MD (02-05-2019)

Corporal
    Thanks

I've seen those videos as well and that's what I thought. Of course, these are awesome to Sunday drive also.

2 Star General
    Thanks

Default Emergency rescue operations M929a2 prep

Quote Originally Posted by 74M35A2 View Post
    The water coming through the windshield videos is what made me buy my truck to begin with. They can do it, but then the amount of work needed for maintenance to do it again reliably several years later is just completely astronomical. Most things on the truck will work underwater, but are not waterproof.

Id also side with a launchable flatty aluminum boat in the truck bed with a newish outboard that starts quickly and easily. Small bed crane and away you go.
    If anyone ever intend to drive through water up to the windshield I suggest you check your air filter canister and intake piping for leaks. I would say at least 50% of the trucks would have a decent sized water leak in the piping at that level of water which will kill the engine before anything else will. It's one thing to drive through that stuff if needed and potentially ruin the truck. It's another to drive into that and have the truck die two minutes into it and put you in harms way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 162tcat; 02-05-2019 at 12:19.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 162tcat For This Useful Post:

cwc (02-08-2019), SCSG-G4 (02-06-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 162tcat View Post
    If anyone ever intend to drive through water up to the windshield I suggest you check your air filter canister and intake piping for leaks. I would say at least 50% of the trucks would have a decent sized water leak in the piping at that level of water which will kill the engine before anything else will. It's one thing to drive through that stuff if needed and potentially ruin the truck. It's another to drive into that and have the truck die two minutes into it and put you in harms way.
    Funny you mention that. It was going to be my point, as if the engine dies, then your dead in the water. I thought my air filter canister gasket was good but it was not. Air filter got wet and I was done for. Had to disconnect the piping and had the turbo open. Not what you want to do, but at that moment, I needed to get out of the situation. My plan is to relocate the air filter higher and use an over the road truck style canister mounted on the front passenger corner of the cab. Having the air filter so low is a bad design. In these pictures, I was in roughly 4 foot of water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1991 M923a2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukes_deuce For This Useful Post:

cwc (02-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 162tcat View Post

LOL...ya think? The NJ ANG drilled 4 holes in mine and riveted one of those HAZMAT signs to the front it!
    Motorpool:

(Isn't owning one of this insanity enough??)
    1971 M813 "Ox" (named for Dewey Oxburger)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 613 Posts
    1984 AM General M923A0 - "The Swamp Donkey"
    2005 Holden M322 EET - "Lucky Strike"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swamp Donkey For This Useful Post:

Floridianson (02-09-2019), maniatopoulosg (02-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
    What is the story on that picture? I don't recall a thread on that, but I might have missed it. That does not look like it ended well.
    Bruce

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BKubu For This Useful Post:

Zed254 (02-08-2019)

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,664 Posts

If you plan on going in water and you have time. You simply need a 5 inch 90 degree stove pipe or air duct pipe. This will allow you to quickly remove the tube on the drivers side on a A1 939 truck and set the filter and those pieces on the inner fender liner and pipe it into the intake

Same thing can be done on the A2 trucks just flip your flex hose around

Inner fender liner is pretty high and better you can see than an unknown gasket. This mod takes about 5mins and Clint calls it the rainbird
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT3B turbo, Intercooled, #15 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 8" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    83' M923A1
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Thanks

Default Emergency rescue operations M929a2 prep

Quote Originally Posted by BKubu View Post
    What is the story on that picture? I don't recall a thread on that, but I might have missed it. That does not look like it ended well.
    I cant remember the thread, but I think they claimed that truck supposedly ran all night like that then finally died the next morning when they where dragging it out.
    M925A2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast