• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mechanical speedometer delete question?

24fan4life

I'm looking at replacing the cable driven speedometer setup, with a GPS unit, to get away from mechanical failures in the system.

Would I just be able to remove the 90 degree assembly from the transfer case, and block it off with a plug?

If not, what exactly would I have to do?

Thank you for any insight into this project.

papakb

Mechanical failures aren't that common, my '86 has been running with the original speedometer in it since I got it 18 years ago. I do concurrently run a GPS to crosscheck accuracy and for positional data but there's no good reason to replace it,

24fan4life

The speedometer has recently failed on my 1988 M1038. This is why I'm looking into this.

I haven't had the time lately to troubleshoot the problem, and have no idea when I'll get the time to in the near future.

I'm sure it's probably not good to drive it with a broken speedometer, so it's sitting until I get that time, and I was just looking into other avenues to go down.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the GPS speedometer on your Waze app until you can troubleshoot.

See if speedo cable is properly attached to tranny and speedo in dash. See if center rotating cable snapped and replace if necessary.

Uncommon for actual speedo face to die, but I guess anything can happen.

Driving without speedo is not dangerous IIRC, as long as you use Waze speedo or cellphone speedo app

papakb

One of the things that does happen to the speedometer is the short flex cable that goes between the transmission and the right angle drive can round off if the drive was run while it was loose. You can replace it by snipping off the end of another speedometer cable and replacing it. Here's the manual info from the -24P manual on page 488:

* 24 PAOZZ 5315014091662 7Z588 30448-D PIN,SHOULDER ,HEADLE.................

Replacing it you unscrew the right angle drive from the transmission, remove the pin and reinstall the new one.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just don't want to chew up the gear in the transfer case if that is what has failed.
That gear turns with or without the cable. It does not need a speedo cable "to protect it".

This is a mechanical system, not an electrical system that needs a grounding harness to dissipate extra energy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks