• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

continental multifuel

jacob bost

Hi this is the only place i thought i might could find help. I have a continental multifuel 465 out of a m35a2 that i put in an excavator has been in for several years. Anyways we used it recently ran great mo problem we shut it off and left it sitting for about a month and when we went to use it it will not start have changed fuel filters and bled system have checked to make sure the hh is pumping with a pencil stuck in it and turning the motor over it will start with either and run for a little while but white smoke boils out and will run for a bit then smother out does not make sense it was running great when it was shut off and now wont run and have verified the fuel shut off is working great any suggestions.

dmetalmiki

Sounds like a head gasket has blown.
Check compressions, and look in the radiator when it runs.
Check the oil for contamination.

jacob bost

It moves freely and is clean on inside. By the way I do have another engine with a ip and hh would it be worth a shot putting a different hh on would no think head gasket with it just sitting

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your using either to start it it’ll run for a bit on that but then shut off. My vote is it’s the button also.

jacob bost

I have had it start one time and run for 15 min or so until I shut it off but I never gets past a fast idle even with throttle wide open but was running fine when it was parked about a month ago and when it ran for 15 min it smoked the whole time but won't rev up like it's not getting any fuel to open up and run I have not taken fuel lines off at the injectors to make sure fuel is going to them but have taken return line off and turned the motor and watched it squirt fuel out

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Whatever the issue is, its pointing towrds "fuel related". I'd dig into the hyd head so you know its good, then move on from there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the drive key(shaped similar to a chevy bowtie) in place and not broken? It is on that HH tappet shaft and is what makes it rotate.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It usually breaks because the tappet shaft was stuck(could not rotate).

Clean with carb and choke cleaner and replace it. Do not use anything abrasive on the shaft.

Should be ok after that.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now is also a good time to replace the rubber orings.

For immediate parts replacement , try Memphis Equipment, or White Owl, or Eastern Surplus or Boyce Equipment.

Otherwise, someone on the site may have what you need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks