• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strain on power steering while stuck

mstepchinski

Hello,
Over the weekend, I got stuck in a bad way. While trying to get it out I put some strain on the system. Now, I have no power assist while stopped. I opened the hood and found a weak spot on one of the rubber lines at the clamp has a leak. I need to know if I can mix PS fluid with what seems to be the spec'd 10W oil. It's so clear I cannot see how far up on the stick it is.

Generally, I know not to mix oils, but I was told PS fluid was 10W as well.

Thanks in advance.2019-02-03 17.13.50.jpg

sandcobra164

Power steering fluid, transmission fluid and 10W oil are all very similar in viscosity but have other characteristics that they differ in. Dexron III ATF would be my first choice. I'm sure that more than once one of these trucks had power steering fluid used to top off the system. If you can't read oil on the dipstick because it's "too clear", stick your pinky finger in the reservoir and see if the tip comes out wet.

dmetalmiki

As the system is fitted with relief valves, there should be no damage when trying to steer.
Viz. As in when you are holding the steering on full lock. The oil just bypasses at a certain pressure.
The 5 ton trucks (Some) are fitted with a system that only works when the R.P.M.s are up.
(Ridiculous, As). There is no power steering assist if you try cornering at low speed in a high gear.
Also, (Always), Best to use the correct oils recommended in the T.M.

dmetalmiki

addendum

But as described correctly above, Use the Dextron, No fear. If you so choose.
Dextron simply stands more heat . amongst other good factors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks