• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GMV roof holes

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noticed on quite a few of the Dovebid Army GMV's that they had an approximately 10" square holes cut into the right rear corner of the roofs, which were all patched. Any former operators out there know what it was for?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing, maybe a hole for the Blue Force Tracker satellite transceiver, which is roughly 10" square.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The satellite transceiver is nearly the same between the two systems.

Edit: no, above statement is incorrect

Last edited:

Crapgame

Courtesy of SOF2, the box is a Dimensions Super Inverter, converts 26v to 110/115 for running coffee pot, lap top, whatever:
SOF2 Dimensions Power Inverter under GMV Roof1.jpgSOF2 Dimensions Power Inverter under GMV Roof2.jpgSOF2 Dimensions Power Inverter under GMV Roof3.jpg

Crapgame

Have any of those come up for sale here yet?
The G-D GMVs or the Dimensions Inverters? The inverters I saw on google for as cheap as $300 for the 12v input version, looks almost identical. If you have a 14/28 volt 200amp generator in your truck it would probably work, short of doing the total amp draw math.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about this. Why would a square hole be cut through the roof to accommodate this box? The model definitely shows this converter box though.
Vent. Produces a lot of heat and/or needs fresh air. Only guaranteed source would be the side or roof. not much side available on these, so, go up.

At least that's my thoughts.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vent. Produces a lot of heat and/or needs fresh air. Only guaranteed source would be the side or roof. not much side available on these, so, go up.

At least that's my thoughts.
Makes sense. Never seen pictures of anything else in that spot.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone figured out which model inverter fits on the GoDov GMVs? The mounting bolt pattern is 10X10.5 and that does not suit any of the models of Dimensions Inverters. (EDIT: EXCEPT ONE, see post 14) See attached spec sheet. The inverter in the SOF2 pictures above is much much bigger than what will fit on a 10X10.5 pattern.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crapgame

The confirmed original GMV photos I have that are clear enough to read the inverter labelling indicates both 14v and 28v inverters were mounted in that right rear ceiling position. There is the visible plate top top the roof sealed all around with silicone as well an another interior mount plate with isolator bushing larger than those used inside the M-series headlights.
DSC03357 (2).JPG

DUMVEE 004.jpg

The other 3 hole mounting holes in the ceiling forward of the Dimensions inverters is and older generation bracket for the 24v Thomas TA-4101 270047 air compressor.

Reactions: NDT

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I figured it out. This pictured unit is a model MIL-24U10ANQ and the mounting hole pattern is right for my (and other?) GoDov trucks. I am not crazy about SF's mounting this upside down so I believe I will make U straps so it will be right side up. I think Crapgame's picture above is from an earlier iteration of the GMV that used a commercial inverter. This one is a "MIL" unit .

Attachments

Crapgame

A different GMV with 28v Dimensions 120v AC Inverter:
DUMVEE 001 (2).jpg

The small problem with the source material is, it is not organized as a "Walk Around" of each individual truck as a separate file. Most of the trucks are M1025A2 based, about 1/3 are REV/ECV based GMV. We have one SME who had one of these Dimensions Inverters on his truck but he is going to unavailable for awhile, but eventually I'll have a set of the roof top plate and the inside mount with the isolation bushings to break down.

And on the left in the pic you can see the older style 24v Thomas Air Compressor 3 bolt bracket, which has also been seen bolted to the front angled face of the passenger side wheelhouse. We ass/u/me these air compressor mounts were used before the H1 Hummer-style air compressor shelves and placement of the air compressor under the hood with the windshield washer reservoir moved inboard.
Air Compressor instead of washer reservoir.jpg

H1 AC Shelf1.jpg

This Hummer H1 style compressor shelf, the crew or Wrenches who installed it just hogged out the splash plate to make room for the AC cylinder instead of carefully unbolting the 4 Allen screws then rotating the cylinder head 180 degrees, for it to fit. And this plate was secured to the aluminum footwell armor plate by a rivet nut as there are no bolt holes for the angled under bracket to bolt to the footwell/cowl. And there was no way the 25lb Thomas air compressor was just bolted to the shelf without that bottom bracket bolted down, the compressor would have destroyed itself in short order.

There's going to be detective work investigating every bolt hole and rivet nut on these trucks for years to come. There's been a couple WTH is this Bracket For posts on our GMV Group with no positive ID yet already.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks