• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's been a while.. M151 project

terratek

Ok to start off with, this project is probably about the worst thing that could happen to an m151, but, i like it.

Picked up a sand rail m151 recently at auction... Am already getting help over at g838, but I figured I would see if anyone can id what vehicle this pioneer rack came off of. It doesn't look like the one on my m109a3, and I really don't have much else to compare it to.

IMG_20190131_162909632_HDR.jpg

For those that are interested... The specs and history:

Purchased right outside of el paso, then moved to utopia tx. I picked it up for 275 at auction and ddragged it to san antonio.
Engine is dated 67 (i believe), hadn't run in 10+ years, got it started on starting fluid a day or two ago.
The front and rear suspension are both m151 front suspensions, so possibility for 4 wheel steering.
It looks like a possible jeep frame, m151 power plant and suspension, and a vw sandrail cage.

As of now, it has been started on starting fluid, fuel pump works, ignition system works, transfer case works, transmission is not doing much of anything, brake/clutch pedals are aftermarket and shot... work in progress ;)

Last edited:

nattieleather

We need more pictures of this beast. You have my huh button stuck and I want to see more...lol! As for the pioneer tool rack that is a standard M-series rack that would have been on a M37, M715, M35, 5 ton etc. Nothing special about it. Keep us posted on this one.

terratek

Rack looked different than my m109a3 based on memory, but that rack is currently 6" from an overgrown fence, so my memory may be faulty, and I don't want to crawl under it to check it :p

As far as pics go, I plan on getting more later, for now, here is the album:
http://s253.photobucket.com/user/g0th/library/m151
there are 2 sub-albums under that one (left side, just expand the album)

This is a longer term project as right now I am getting 2 bikes ready for spring/summer, and need to get some work done on my jeep zj... But, with cold wet weather, this one and my ford gt65 are actually taking precedence for the moment, as neither has electronics I have to protect, and can work on them in between rain/fog/etc.
So as of now, it starts, but the carb needs a good cleaning or a rebuild.
The transmission is weird, but unsure as to what's wrong as I haven't opened it up yet. Transfer case is working as I disengaged the front axle for loading. When off the ground, the rear tires spun in opposite directions, so I dc'd driveshaft at rear diff and hung it from a strap. When i started the engine, the driveshaft did not spin (driveshaft is currently hanging from transmission).
Pretty sure brake master and clutch master are aftermarket buggy parts, both are completely trashed... could probably rebuild them, but will most likely replace them. Clutch slave is trashed.. No clue if clutch is working or not as I haven't dc'd the slave and tried to work it yet.

Only work I have done so far is to get it home, remove spark plugs and clean them, put an oz of mmo in each cylinder, start it on starter fluid, and replace the leaking pressure line for the oil gauge.

Next on the agenda is getting it up on stands, removing the wheels and de-rusting the lug nuts, get the carb off for cleaning, remove the starter so i can open up the transmission to evaluate it, pressure washing the gas tank, oil and filter change, and then see where I am at..

I may also pressure wash everything and spray it all down with corroseal once it's dry.

That's pretty much everything for now except to note what I know about it from looking it over. The system is still 24v, genny is 60amp, frame looks similar to my 60's cj5 frame, rail additions look similar to vw rails i have worked on, rear receiver and dual jerry can mount plates missing the formed metal for the cans, 2 m151 front suspensions, probably aftermarket foot controls, gas pedal seems to be some formed wrought iron or square stock, headlights seem to be typical buggy cans with 24v headlights in em mounted on a pioneer tool rack, etc etc...
Right now I am dealing with a severe lack of sleep from an impacted molar, so... will reply if i am up, otherwise, will post when i get a chance.

Last edited:

nattieleather

The clutch and brake peddles are cut off M151a2 peddles that someone then rigged up to work upside down. Both the clutch and brake master cylinders are M151 brake master cylinders. M151's had a mechanical clutch. Someone went to a lot of work to make that thing. I'm not sure I would get it running or pull it apart for the usable parts...but that's just me.

terratek

Oh definitely going to work on getting it running. At the very least, it should be fun out in west texas next time i manage to get out to my land. Although I am seriously considering getting someone to rebuild the cage to something more like a chenowth.

I guess it's a wait and see thing at this point, not really interested in a money pit, so will be cutting my losses if it gets too bad. Right now I am into it for around 350, I have another 550 or so budgeted for it at the moment. So for the time being, everything I am doing to it is diagnostic or free (parts left over from projects, stuff I have on hand that never got used, and repairs rather than replacements).

terratek

To clarify, the 550 is to get it running, moving, stopping, and electrical working. If I can do it for that price or less, then I will be keeping it around as a long term project.

terratek

650... not 550... and here is the update i posted to the 838

-----

Since I pretty much took the weekend to kick back and work on other stuff, catch up on sleep, and just relax in general... An update is overdue.

The tldr version is nothing was done this weekend...

The full version is:
Cleaned up a load of used oil, atf, gear oil, old gas; and it is now in 5 gallon jugs awaiting final filtration before being stored in a 55 gallon drum.
Disposed of a load of old oil containers.
Moved my larger compressor to the rear drive so I now have access to air tools while working.
Picked up a load of fittings for the compressor and an inline dryer.
Rebuilt a kerosene heater so I don't go inside every 5 minutes yelping about the cold and humidity.
Rear of the vehicle is up on stands, but will probably reposition them as I don't think it's completely stable.
Cut a keihin carb accelerator pump cover apart to use as test material for a bunch of solvents, chemicals, etc. Not taking off the carb until I figure out a better solution for my ultrasonic cleaner.
Picked up a canopy to cover the work area, as the constant mist the last 3 days or so has pretty much stopped me from taking things apart.
Picked up a media attachment for my pressure washer so I can use it as a sand blaster.
Pulled my larger ultrasonic cleaner, and wintergreen oil out of storage for the carb rebuild.

If all goes well, I should be getting back to work on the projects this weekend. For now I am doing inventory and figuring out a path forward for all the current projects.

terratek

Travis came by today and we managed to get a bit more work done.

At this point the carburetor has been removed, starter was pulled to get the trans cap and shift forks off, then reinstalled so we could hit the ignition while beating on things.

Transmission is a rust bucket, there was no fluid in it. When I pulled the prop shaft, it drained a load of water and then a bit of old gear oil and some tar. After spraying it with pb and beating on it for a while from various angles, I am happy to say the wheels actually engage now, and we managed to find all of the gears except reverse (manual shifting with rebar, a wooden stake, and a hammer).

The shift forks are rusted up, and parts 1, 2, and 28-33 (diagram 69, manual 218-34p) are trashed, unsure on 27.

Oil has been changed, oil filter has been changed, oil sample taken from mid drain to send for analysis.

At this point, tranny is sitting open, carb is sitting on a shelf for disassembly, and put in orders for some magnets, a 5-gallon pail of evaporust, new u-joint for prop shaft, transmission gasket set, carburetor minor rebuild/gasket and o-ring set.

I am slightly past the halfway mark on my budget for getting it running/moving/stopping. So not too bad.

terratek

SETOYOTA:
I believe it is, pretty sure I just mis-remembered my rack on the 109.
I was under the 109 a few days ago and forgot to take a look at the rack again. Unfortunately the 80+ degree day we had means the paper wasps/yellowjackets are out looking for new places to nest, so had to make sure the frame was clear and spray a few areas.

I should receive the evaporust tomorrow at some point. Wednesday (if I get some sleep), I will be degreasing the tranny, flushing it a few times, filling it with evaporust, and starting its soak time. Still need to plug the rear shaft output, but that shouldn't take long. Waiting on a few things still before I get back to work on it, may start tearing the carb apart tonight to get it ready for the ultrasonic bath.

terratek

Apologies for lack of updates, have been busy with home / medical stuff and working on my jeep zj. I will get back to this project once things settle down again.

nattieleather

Apologies for lack of updates, have been busy with home / medical stuff and working on my jeep zj. I will get back to this project once things settle down again.
Man no apologies needed. Life gets in the way of our fun sometimes. Take care of yourself and family first. We'll be here when you're ready.

terratek

A long overdue update, this project is now posted for sale on craigslist and facebook. That being said, I am offering it for free to anyone on steelsoldiers or g838 that can pick it up this week and confirms it. At that point i will remove the listings of it for sale... would rather someone get it that needs the parts or wants a really odd project to play with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks