• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you stop a m809 if the brakes fail?

dmetalmiki

I have a 816 and a 813 truck that do not have brakes at all that I never have fixed. I mope them around the yard or around the local streets slowly using the emergency brake to stop but i never get over about 15mph.
I can't believe you said that!
15MPH, someone else makes a mistake...a truck like that with no braking just runs over the top of it.
On the public highway, try explaining that.
((And be very careful 'some official' reading this Might just look out for you)).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe you said that!
15MPH, someone else makes a mistake...a truck like that with no braking just runs over the top of it.
On the public highway, try explaining that.
((And be very careful 'some official' reading this Might just look out for you)).
Some people only care about themselves.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a pretty good imagination if you think someone who risks his life to rescue an unconscious person trapped in a burning automobile cares only about himself.

Alright well as some of you I talk to on a social basis know that i was involved in a rear end crash on Tuesday night June 5th. This happened in Mississippi about 50 miles from Memphis. I had my trailer in tow at around 70,000lb GVW. I was driving along at 60/62mph. All lighting on including overhead strobes. I never noticed the Saturn car that hit me. it was a hard enough impact that it threw me into the windshield. At first I thought my ramps had fell down. As I saw sparks in the rear mirrors. I slowed to the side of the road. Applied brakes and went back to the back of the trailer. That is when I noticed the car under the rear of my trailer with it's windshield in my ramps. I checked the driver immediately he was breathing but unconscious. There was a few flames from under my trailer in the engine area. I smelled fuel when I was at the car so I ran back to my truck. put it in gear and tried to pull forward a few feet to see if the car would release. It did not. I returned to the car with the fire extinguisher and tried to put the fire out but to no avail. The wire harness was already smoldering and whatever else that could burn. I then tried to wake the driver up. I reached in and unbuckled his seat belt to try to remove him from the drivers window. He was pinned between the lower seat with his legs and the steering wheel. I hit the seat back lever and the seat reclined some to no avail on removing him. I then started attempting to flag down passing cars. a dozen or so did not stop. I then proceeded to force 3 cars to stop or hit me. This was about 90 seconds from me getting out of my truck the first time till i got someone to stop. They called 911. I then got help from the drivers. I returned to the front of my trailer and grabbed my crowbar and knocked out both rear side windows and the rear window and I climbed into the car thru the back window. I was being yelled at to get out of the car, I tried kicking open the passengers rear door to no avail. and they people there could not pry it out with the crow bar. Others were trying to extinguish the fire with the fire extinguishers as well to no avail. The windshield was on fire as i pulled and pulled on the seat and finally the seatback release broke I guess. I was able to pull him free with several pulls and pulling on his legs. I believe that they were broke. We then exited him from the car thru the drivers window.

After I got out of the car the by standers took the driver and rendered first aid on him till the EMT's arrived. I then ran to my truck and put it in drive and drug the burning car under my trailer a hundred feet or so to get it away from the people and the driver. I then grabbed more fire extinguishers and tried to put the fire out but it was 12ft tall flames by then. I then used my trailer hydraulic jacks to release it from the truck and let the tongue of the trailer down bringing the rear of the trailer up and being able to separate the two. I hooked the trailer chains to my truck and drug my trailer forward a few feet to get distance. My spare tire, ramp hydraulics lines were burning and both my rear axle trailer tires has busted due to the heat. The EMT's, Fire, and police were all there by then. The driver was air lifted about 10 minutes later as the helicopter for that area was only stationed a few hundred yards away at the air port there. I received some oxygen and minor first aid as my arms were burned and cut up from the glass and heat in the car. Other than that i had several pieces of glass lodged in my skin the next day that had to be removed. I turned all over all information to the highway patrol and given a traffic report number.

My rear cab camera caught mostly everything on tape from the headlights of the driver for about 8 seconds prior to them disappearing into the back of the trailer and the impact to the fire and extinguish. It is hard to make out on camera really how fast he was going but the impact looks brutal as it slammed my trailer and lifted it from the looks of it.

As of yesterday afternoon I still did not have a name, age, or condition of the driver. I do know that he was breathing when we got him out of the car and he was when he got in the helicopter. Beyond that I do not know anything else. No report has been submitted yet either by the trooper. The male driver appeared to be in the 18 to 22 yr old range. I am a little uneasy and concerned that I do not know the drivers condition or fate at this point. That is the only thing that is bothering me.

I revisited the crash scene yesterday with about a 300 yard debris field from impact to final burning spot. There were no skid marks prior to impact. So he never attempted to stop. You see the impact debris and then the marks from being drug and the water mark from antifreeze. Then the burn marks at the final spots. The fire did burn up all my rear LED lighting so it was pretty bright and could be scene as other cars pass me in the video prior to impact. Driver's speed is estimated in the 90 to 100mph range.

I just hope the driver is alright. The video link i posted and is authorized to be published. It is a private link so it is not listed on public view. Yes it on youtube but it is unlisted.

I will add. That had i been hit at that speed in the rear of my truck without the trailer the driver would no doubt had died and I would have probably been dead if not severely hurt as that impact would have shoved my rear axles out from under the truck and thrown me off the road or rolled me.

Right hand corner you see his headlights in the cab glass of the forklift on the trailer at 2:25. Impact at 2:32.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vjHie57RG4&feature=youtu.be

319cssb

I was looking at the M809 serie and Wiki tells me that they were build until 1982 then the new 5 ton M939 came on. When I googled them I saw some as high as 1985.
So I am wondering until what year has the M809 series been build?
I posted a new thread with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M809_s...-ton_6x6_truck
I posted a new thread with my question above and was told off that I shouldn't cross post, But I would still like to have an answer to my question.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I posted a new thread with my question above and was told off that I shouldn't cross post, But I would still like to have an answer to my question.
Some M809s were rebuilt up until the mid 1990s. Production of the 939s started in 1983.

In member David Doyle's book it states that some M809s were produced right along side M939s briefly as production began but then ceased production of the m809s

319cssb

Some M809s were rebuilt up until the mid 1990s. Production of the 939s started in 1983.

In member David Doyle's book it states that some M809s were produced right along side M939s briefly as production began but then ceased production of the m809s
What do you mean when you say rebuilt?
I have seem some trucks that had the year 1985... or even a 1988 m813a1. Did AM General really build these trucks for that long? I thought it was 1982 when production stopped.
Are you saying that 1982 trucks were taken, rebuild and then used a a 1988?
thx

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean when you say rebuilt?
I have seem some trucks that had the year 1985... or even a 1988 m813a1. Did AM General really build these trucks for that long? I thought it was 1982 when production stopped.
Are you saying that 1982 trucks were taken, rebuild and then used a a 1988?
thx
More like the early trucks were rebuilt . Unless you see a delivery date stamped on a data tag ,anything newer than 1982 was someone who picked a year when they applied for the SF-97.

Ajax MD

Interesting stuff! I also recently heard that some 809's were upgraded to Allison automatic transmissions. I wonder if these early trucks that were rebuilt, were equipped with autos, alongside the 939's that were being built?

My first impressions were that the 809 series was very homogenous in terms of the engine and transmission.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting stuff! I also recently heard that some 809's were upgraded to Allison automatic transmissions. I wonder if these early trucks that were rebuilt, were equipped with autos, alongside the 939's that were being built?

My first impressions were that the 809 series was very homogenous in terms of the engine and transmission.
I have never heard of the military procuring M809 series trucks with auto transmissions. As far as I know, they were finishing up one run (M809) while they were starting the next (M939).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Didn't happen since they would have had to do an air switch for the sprag. As well as make room under the hood and add a totally different cooling system to add a heat exchanger. It would cost too much to redesign and adapt over a new order of trucks for 75k each and they are making their bread and butter.

Some 809 frames were said to be used and built into 939s. Just like 939s were used in the MTVRs

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't happen since they would have had to do an air switch for the sprag. As well as make room under the hood and add a totally different cooling system to add a heat exchanger. It would cost too much to redesign and adapt over a new order of trucks for 75k each and they are making their bread and butter.

Some 809 frames were said to be used and built into 939s. Just like 939s were used in the MTVRs
Good info, Wes. I have heard about AM General using M809 series frames on the M939 series trucks. I don't have an M809 series truck to examine the differences between the frames, but I wonder if anyone has such a truck (M939 with M809 series frame). They are probably pretty rare.

Ajax MD

I definitely did not hear this from an official source, just some guy who claimed to be in the military and drove them. It does seem doubtful.

dmetalmiki

THEN..one gets to thinking about a WHOLE lot more!...'After the event'.
I was going to answer this thread initially with.."You don't". (Can't).

As a direct result of this post I am seriously looking to fit a disc brake in the transmission.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks