• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a fuel filter housing (spin on)

NATCAD

Hello gents

I have a mep803a that is missing the larger spin-on fuel filter/water separator.

I am looking for recommendations on what to replace the spin on filter housing with, my generators one is missing.

I would also be interested in buying the housing and the fittings if someone has them available used.

If you have replaced already, could you post a photo of your setup?

Attachments

Zed254

I would start with Daybreak's filter list: the following is from my notes, so may not be up to date:
Fuel Filter, Spin-On Fuel/Water Separator Filter (FILTER,FLUID NSN# 2910-01-376-5666 )
True Military filter with drain connector 85285-F

Alternate replacements, with bottom drain, but, factory drain with hose does NOT connect WIX 33472, NAPA 3472, FLEETGUARD FS1251, BALDWIN BF1226, DONALDSON P550248, FRAM P8043, PUROLATOR F64424

Pick an alternate filter and then follow the filters to the required mounting unit. That way you get the narrow one that fits in the tight generator space.

An alternative is to grab something off ebay and run with it.

Option 1 not as easy as I thought: Here are Baldwin's filter bases......https://www.baldwinfiltersrus.com/catalogsearch/result/?f=BF7921+filter+base&q=filter+base&p=1

Prob cheaper to grab something off ebay if an SS member doesn't have one to sell.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I just use one of the alternate numbers in the list above, and disregard the drain hose. Just use an empty coffee can, and drain with the bottom nut.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Hopefully someone is selling pieces from a parts machine. from a 802 or 803 works.

You want the water/fuel spin-on filter base? Its a good chunk of aluminium.

Bmxenbrett

Since the whole thing is missing i would go with a Racor filter separator setup. You could even do away with the other fuel filter and beable to see the water collecting in the bowl.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you hit up the big auction site, they are currently up under the search term 'Fuel Water Separator Filter With Drain Valve Mep-802a'. Looks like $15 plus freight. No affiliation. I like the after market units, but whatever floats your boat.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you hit up the big auction site, they are currently up under the search term 'Fuel Water Separator Filter With Drain Valve Mep-802a'. Looks like $15 plus freight. No affiliation. I like the after market units, but whatever floats your boat.
Howdy,
He does not need a filter.

He needs the aluminum base the filter screws up onto. In his picture, the entire assembly is gone.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold a parts machine a few weeks back (well two of them really, to a single customer). They will have a duplicate mount, as I believe both units were intact in this regard. Let me reach out to them and see if they might be open to discussing this with you. PM me your info, OP, so I may pass it forward.

Edit: I forgot he said he joined up here at SS. I have reached out, and provided a link back to this thread. Hope he can help you out.

Last edited:

smokem joe

I had one leak on a unit. I tried 3 different filters on it and it still leaked. The base the filter sat down on when tight couldn't have been flat. I replaced the housing and no more trouble.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one leak on a unit. I tried 3 different filters on it and it still leaked. The base the filter sat down on when tight couldn't have been flat. I replaced the housing and no more trouble.
Howdy,
I had a unit which had a small leak. Soldier A thought he would fix it, and tightened the filter like King Kong. Still had a leak. It got auctioned off. I got the filter off and put a new filter on. Still a small leak. I took the whole assembly out, and right on the top is like a small bleeder screw. I removed the screw, fixed up the little o-ring, and put it all back. No more leak. :)

Filter took a lot of damage coming off.
tough fuel filter to get off.jpg

smokem joe

Howdy,
I had a unit which had a small leak. Soldier A thought he would fix it, and tightened the filter like King Kong. Still had a leak. It got auctioned off. I got the filter off and put a new filter on. Still a small leak. I took the whole assembly out, and right on the top is like a small bleeder screw. I removed the screw, fixed up the little o-ring, and put it all back. No more leak. :)

Filter took a lot of damage coming off.
View attachment 755456
I checked that. I actually pressurized the filter housing with a filter off the unit. It was leaking from the gasket around the filter, not coming from the lines or the bleeder screw. Just a poorly machined piece was my guess.

Demoh

They all look like that the first time you change the filter.
Correction, They all look like that the first ANY time you change the filter. It seems that you can literally tighten the filter with 2 fingers and 6 months later you try to take it off and it might as well be welded on. Or thats just my luck and along with a lot of forum reading.

Even with proper removers because my friend owns an auto shop so I have access to every style and brand its almost a lost cause. Like to the point of wanting to drill a hole in the base to run a 1/2 inch extension to the filter to put a 24 inch breaker bar on it when the unit is on the lift. Ive so wanted to, but wont because thats not right.

Bmxenbrett

Correction, They all look like that the first ANY time you change the filter. It seems that you can literally tighten the filter with 2 fingers and 6 months later you try to take it off and it might as well be welded on. Or thats just my luck and along with a lot of forum reading.

Even with proper removers because my friend owns an auto shop so I have access to every style and brand its almost a lost cause. Like to the point of wanting to drill a hole in the base to run a 1/2 inch extension to the filter to put a 24 inch breaker bar on it when the unit is on the lift. Ive so wanted to, but wont because thats not right.
Coat the rubber O ring with grease or oil. Just like you would do with a engine oil filter. All my filters come off by hand months later on everything i have already changed the filter on.

smokem joe

Coat the rubber O ring with grease or oil. Just like you would do with a engine oil filter. All my filters come off by hand months later on everything i have already changed the filter on.

I can attest to this. Proper install and you can remove them with just a strong grip

Demoh

I can attest to this. Proper install and you can remove them with just a strong grip
Yep and yep. I used to do fleet maintenance and between that and my own stuff know the routine well. My friend that owns auto repair shop that does lots of lube would know better than me but we both run into the occasional "this model sucks no matter what you do" type spin on filters. On those filters where we know its going to be a problem we have tried clean motor oil, grease, silicone grease, etc... (theres never an oring that goes on dry on anything ever here)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a mounting base up on the big auction site under '[FONT=&quot]MEP-803A Primary Fuel Filter'.[/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks