• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can I stop melting terminals?

russojap

This is the second time this has happened, the first time I melted the post off of a battery. I was certain they were tight, but maybe because the batteries aren't secured down it's causing the bolts to loosen up. Do I need lock washers? Why did they melt in the middle?
IMG_20190129_150012435.jpg
IMG_20190129_145831013.jpgIMG_20190129_145720357.jpgIMG_20190129_145648187.jpgIMG_20190129_145654226.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something was loose. I've had that happen. The cable bolts need to be tight. They get over looked sometimes. Securing the batteries is a must, lots of bumps and vibration adds to the issue.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Never ever never run batteries in any vehicle that are not secured down.
'Tiss a quick way to lose money on any liquid filled battery.
.......and show me a cheap method as to how how to secure battery for the General.

IMG_1648.jpgbattery box.jpgIMG_1650.jpgIMG_1653.jpgIMG_1654.jpgIMG_1661.jpgIMG_2221.jpgIMG_2223.jpg

Melting the post off a battery/batteries requires high amps
which is detrimental to vehicles and humans.

Big Tom

Clean everything good as said ,but also put some dielectric grease between all parts , on electric circuit the biggest cause of heat is a bad connection, loose or dirty will do the same

Big Tom

18operator

Scar59 Hit the target. If those terminals aren't tight then something is bound to arc. I've had it happen to me. And make sure the batteries are in there snug.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check you positive cable where it goes through the hole in the frame. Be sure it has not rubbed through.

Secure your batteries. If they move the cables and clamps can loosen.

sandcobra164

I once melted a battery terminal and the culprit was not what I would have expected. It was actually caused by a weak battery in my 2 battery set-up. Member 74M35A2 explained it to me in a very simple for me to understand manner. With healthy batteries (12.8 Open Circuit Voltage), much less amperage draw is seen on the electrical components from the batteries to the starter. The weaker the batteries OCV, the amperage goes up somewhat exponentially during starting. I wish I could find the thread where he pointed that out to me as he explained it better. In addition to ensuring batteries are secured properly and cables are clean and tight, make sure they are charged fully.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did they melt in the middle?
Too many amps...

The bolt and the lug on the end of the cable is so crusty, it’s making better contact on the bolt which is arcing on the interior of the hole through the lead, melting from the inside out.

russojap

Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely like the idea of the grease. The bolts on two of the terminals were in fact loose, I guess driving the truck around the bumpy yard and the engine idling caused them to loosen up.

russojap

Too many amps...

The bolt and the lug on the end of the cable is so crusty, it’s making better contact on the bolt which is arcing on the interior of the hole through the lead, melting from the inside out.
Could I put that conducting grease inside the bolt holes to prevent this from happening again?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wouldn’t hurt, but that lug needs to be sanded bright on both sides, new bolt, stainless nuts, and bolts are really nice, as well as brass terminals.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Local battery or truck shops or google "military battery terminals".

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Food for thought, when the alternator looses battery connection it will go to full output.

That will assist with the damage to the terminals. It will also kill your voltage regulator.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I like using NAPA chem washers and their protective spray, red color just like frank8003 used on his terminals. If you look at his pictures you can see the red stain
from the spray that helps with corrosion and ark track, dirt on the surface of the battery that drains the positive terminal towards the closest ground.

As said before, clean, dry, tight. The melting point on the lead clamp is where it made some minimal contact creating a lot of resistance for the current needed to start or maintain electric accessories.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
military terminals are Grote # 85-9481 and 85-9480 for 5 each of the positive and negative. Available at napa. but I agree on switching to stud post batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks