• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

880 recovery

Drove the 360 miles today in the F450 with a car hauler, sucking the fuel like water all the way. The trip went very smooth, the recovery a little less. 3 of 4 tires took air just fine, I had to swap the third with a spare, thank goodness I brought my compressor and impact wrench. Spent an hour trying to get the transfer case into neutral, once we did....... Easy street. The truck is very solid, less than 6 square inches of cancer on the drivers side fender. It's going to be a big project, I don't know if I'm up for it just yet, we'll see.

Attachments

papercu

dodge

sucking the fuel like water all the way
That one loves gas too. If you need dash parts or wood/fiberglass to replace the troop seats, I can help if you don't find anything closer. Wayne

BTW Glad you made it OK and I didn't see your other tie down points but the spare tire holder was not the best thing to tie to.

papercu

dodge

If you plan on keeping it close to original, the 16.5 tires are hard to find, a 3/4 ton/1 ton Ford or Dodge has 8 lug wheels that are 16" and will interchange. Wayne

Re: dodge

papercu said:
BTW Glad you made it OK and I didn't see your other tie down points but the spare tire holder was not the best thing to tie to.
HA! I can see how it looks that way, it was actually tied down to the left and right side of the rear axle, what you see in the picture is the extra strap that I had to tie up out of the way........... MV rookie yes I am, car/ truck/ and trailer rookie not so much.....

Re: RE: 880 recovery

rosco said:
Looks like its safe now. Where did you have to go to get it? Eurika area?

Lee in Alaska
picked it up from another member who had won it and a deuce on the same day, one GL, one GSA. Opting for only one project at a time he gave me a good deal on it but I had to go pick it up. It came from the Virginia Dept of Forrestry up in Batesville, VA about 10 miles north of Charlottesville on rt 29. They had plenty more in the lot that should be coming up on GSA soon.

jeffinnorthtexas

I thought the same thing until today. My friend, at our local, independent tire store, told me 16.5's are hard to find at the chain stores and Walmarts. However, most good tire distribution warehouses have lots of them avaiable in various sizes. I am getting ready to get a set of 5 for my M882. He tossed out so many size and tread options, that now I can not decide what 16.5 to get. He says he can have any type 16.5 I want ,next day. And, so can any other "GOOD" tire store in the country. The lowest priced tires were $114.00 mounted and balanced. Pricing went up from there.
Jeff

papercu said:
If you plan on keeping it close to original, the 16.5 tires are hard to find, a 3/4 ton/1 ton Ford or Dodge has 8 lug wheels that are 16" and will interchange. Wayne

jeffinnorthtexas said:
I thought the same thing until today. My friend, at our local, independent tire store, told me 16.5's are hard to find at the chain stores and Walmarts. However, most good tire distribution warehouses have lots of them avaiable in various sizes. I am getting ready to get a set of 5 for my M882. He tossed out so many size and tread options, that now I can not decide what 16.5 to get. He says he can have any type 16.5 I want ,next day. And, so can any other "GOOD" tire store in the country. The lowest priced tires were $114.00 mounted and balanced. Pricing went up from there.
Jeff
That's good to hear, I would like to stay as original as I can. The more I climb all over this truck the more excited I am to tear it apart, and put it back together!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter

jeffinnorthtexas said:
Jeff
Yes they are several highway tread tires still availible but few in a 9.50 wide.
None of the major brands make an agressive 16.5 anymore. Haven't in many years.
Here is a Firestone

Attachments

tractorfix

I know our trucks came with 16.5's but be careful because they can bite you. Any 16.5 rims I have ever seen do not have safety beads. This is a small bead rolled into the rim about 1/2" back from the tire bead. This keeps the tire on the rim in case of deflation or underinflation. 16's all have this feature and if you're buying rubber anyway, I'd highly reccommend springing for a set of 16" rims. 265-75-16 looks real good on M's.and its a very popular size with tons of variations available.

jeffinnorthtexas

There are still some good agressive tread 16.5's available. I looked at some on a website at the tire shop. Power King is one brand that has them. You make a good point about the lack of a safety bead on the 16.5's. something to consider if higher speed highway driving is planned with this truck.

tractorfix

I have one with 265's on it but its in the back of the barn basement. I'll see if I can get a decent pic. To illustrate the safety concern I have look at the spare in the back of Gunner's truck. Air goes out, tire comes off. Take it from a old demo derby guy and 21 year fleet mechanic- safety beads are good!

FrankUSMC

Gunnershusband
Seveal years ago, some one wrote a great story on the care and feeding of the M880 series truck for military vehicle magazine. As I am unpacking, if I come across it, I will make a copy of it for you.
Also, have you ever seen a NATOPS manual for the M880? One of my Marines found one setting on top of a trash can. It is about 4 inches thick, and like other NATOPS manuals is gray in color. The Marine who found it brought it right over to me and asked if I needed it. Still have it in the manaul collection.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

FrankUSMC

NATOPS manuals are used by Navy and Marine air units.
NATOPS means: NAVAL AIR TRAINING & OPERATING PROCEDURE & STANDARD
To a Marine NATOPS meant: NOT APPLICABLE TO OUR PRESENT SITUATION
Hope this helps.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks