• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub bearing?

warcow105

A few days ago I noticed what sounded like a tire out of balance and now one of my hubs is leaking. I'm wondering if the 2 are related. What noise have any of you witnessed when one of the bearings has gone? It's not loud, and the truck isn't shaking around, it's just that out of balance tire sound.

Thanks,
Mike

warcow105

For now I refilled the hub with some of that Lucas hub oil till my replacement seals come. While I had it jacked up I checked for play or crunchy rotation in the hub, seemed fine.

Mike

PETE BALLARD

Wheel seals can go bad and leak for a number of reasons.
1 old age- sealing surface rubber wear out
2 in proper installation
3 wheel bearings wearing out and get loose
4 hub cap plug vent clogged

I have never heard a wheel seal go bad- if you hear bearing going bad you got a real severe problem. Most causes are an easy fix. When you do your PM service make sure you jack up the wheels and check the wheel bearing end play, look at the sealing surfaces for leaks or seepage and check your unit vents - they need to be clear- this is on all wheel positions, rear end, trailer axle or steer axle. Also examine your oil as well for metal fragments.
When replacing the wheel seal make sure you have the correct seal installation tool + torque wrench - get the instructions on how to inspect and adjust wheel bearings.
Follow the simple procedures and your problems should remain small.
All the best- Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks