• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Borgensen steering shaft install questions

ehuppert

Still in the midst of my frame up resto! Beauty of a frame off restoration is that once the frame and parts are blasted and painted it's really hard to bolt any rusty crap back on the truck! My steering shaft was very ugly, rag joint wasted. Perusing the web, jeep shafts (used were expensive), brand new jeep shafts apx $100, so in a spending money moment i ordered the borgensen u-joint shaft!

Going to cut the piece down tomorrow, not a big deal. Question is, doesn't look like the thru bolt hole in steering column gets used? I'm assuming i need to drill a hole in the steering column side for the long set screw?

Understand why the shaft is long and needs to be cut down, but would be nice if they made the upper joint collar use the through bolt!

any BTDT's

Eric

ehuppert

Took me longer to type the question than it did to fit the upper ujoint and figure it out! The long set screw does indeed fit through were the upper bolt hole is on the column side. Will cut 9" off the tube tomorrow which will give me about 4.5" of collapse similar to the oem shaft. Then again, the OEM shaft was so rusted i seriously doubt it would collapse at all. But, then again again, withe plow frame and all the heftiness of the one ton frame.... If i managed to collapse the left frame horn that five inches i think the steering column collapse would be the least of my worries!

I even read the directions this time! Something about cutting a expensive piece like this makes me a little more cautious!

Eric

Doghead: thanks for the links. Had never looked at their catalog, Will be a good resource for the restoration shop i work at!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks