• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 1009 will not start

GamecockCucv

Hello forum, I recently picked up an M1009 that wasn't running. I have spent several weeks of spare time sessions trying to get it going. I changed the oil and filter and figured out how to wire in the two batteries, it was ALL new to me yall. I couldn't get it to fire up so I changed out the glow plugs and she cranked up and ran for about 20 minutes. I couldn't get it into gear because I have a linkage issue or a fluid leak (not sure which). I had somewhere to be, so I shut the truck off.

The next day it wouldn't start at all. Nothing. So I figured the fuel system was losing pressure. I changed the stock fuel filter to a spin on and I replaced the original fuel pump with another mechanical pump (that was a patience tester). I bled the system with compressed air to the line coming off the front of the IP. But still no cranking. I put a gauge on the new fuel filter and I was definitely losing pressure somewhere.

Before I dropped the tank and cleaned it out and cleaned the sending unit I thought I would try some ATF in the block with some gas fumes on a rag. I saw that on youtube and was getting frustrated trying to get it to fire. This is where I'm fearful I screwed something up beyond what I can troubleshoot/repair so I came here. I'm sure I deserve a good tongue lashing. But, when I tried to crank after the ATF adding and gas fumed rag the engine made one good jump and then locked. It won't turn over, it will just try and fail like the engine is locked up. I don't know what has happened and I'm searching, fearful it is bad, bad, bad. I can't even turn the engine over by hand with a socket on the front engine bolt.

Something is seized. Any help is appreciated. I know I've made a newbie mistake, so I can take the lashing too.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soliders.

If you can’t turn engine over by hand, then your correct.....it’s bad.

Have you removed the glow plugs and tried again?
It willl reduce compression and if it’s hydro locked, let any water out.

Either way, your gonna have to start pulling parts off.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome, When going through some maintenance items did you look at or check the radiator for antifreeze? I am with Tinstar and pull the glowplugs out. They are pretty good indicators for the condition of starting. Hydrolock is when there is fluid in the cylinder that can not be compressed and acts like it is locked up.

Antifreeze or diesel fuel, or something fell into the intake, bolt, tool, rag, all will get sucked up and stop it cold if it gets by the open valve.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
If there is water, antifreeze, then you are on a teardown condition. Headgasket, or worse cracked block from freeze out, cracked cylinder head, probable.

When clearing the fuel line you may have pumped a cylinder with some fuel. Pull glowplugs and that will relieve pressure, fluid in cylinder.

GamecockCucv

I pulled the plugs and turned the engine by hand and then with the key and it turned over like normal. Replaced the plugs. Still am not running yet, but way better than I feared I was earlier this evening. There is water/antifreeze in the radiator. I put some transmission fluid in the intake to try and increase compression. I believe that is the culprit of my lock-up.

I'm gonna try to find why I'm losing pressure - hoses or sending unit in the fuel tank and go from there. Thanks for your posts. If you have anymore must do's I'm all ears. I don't have experience but I'm pretty **** good at following instructions.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I'm gonna try to find why I'm losing pressure - hoses or sending unit in the fuel tank and go from there..

#1 suspect is the fuel filter. I'd tell you to check the stickies for info on that, but I don't see any threads on it. Just one on doing a modern spin-on replacement.

The search function here isn't the greatest. What you can do is to use your favorite search engine (which, of course, for thinking people is NOT google), and add "site:steelsoldiers.com" at the end of your search string. That will force the search engine to only return results from the site you want.

Like this (note the + signs in front of the search terms. That's important):

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=+fuel++filter++leak+site:steelsoldiers.com&t=ffnt&ia=web

This thread looks promising.

Welcome aboard! :beer:

EDIT TO ADD: This post talks about the common problem of the leaking port for the fuel pressure sensor.

Last edited:

319cssb

I would suspect the mechanical lift pump. There is a reservoir on top of the Injection Pump and maybe you burned off the fuel that was in there by idling the engine for 20 mins. There is a short fuel line that goes into the Injection Pump, I would replace that for a clear one. Then you can monitor if there are bubbles or no fuel at all going to the enginge.

GamecockCucv

I will try to find a clear fuel line replacement. I stuck a clear inline filter on my output line leaving the filter. That way I can monitor fuel output, but it isn’t holding fuel level - keeps leaking slowly down after priming. I have a new lift pump so I hope that isn’t it unless it’s leaking at the hardline where I reinstalled. I have a new spin-on filter and housing also. Maybe those connections must be tightened.

319cssb

I will try to find a clear fuel line replacement. I stuck a clear inline filter on my output line leaving the filter. That way I can monitor fuel output, but it isn’t holding fuel level - keeps leaking slowly down after priming. I have a new lift pump so I hope that isn’t it unless it’s leaking at the hardline where I reinstalled. I have a new spin-on filter and housing also. Maybe those connections must be tightened.
You may want to get a check valve to prevent reverse flow.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TncqnkMjEmk

Last edited:

319cssb

I saw that mentioned on a YouTube video I believe. Where would be the ideal location for the check valve to be installed?
Probably in the same location this person has his installed . If it is installed before the fuel filter, it will prevent the filter to lose its prime. If installed after the fuel filter it will prevent reverse flow from there forward to the engine.

it could be that with it you will be able to see a leak maybe at the injection pump. Not sure, i never used this part. But if there is a leak that would allow back flow, then it makes sense that a pos pressure would allow fuel to drip

Last edited:

GamecockCucv

Just checking back in, this afternoon I got the ten-nine started with a gas rag with no added ATF. The fumes were enough to get me sputtering. I put some sea foam in the tank and ran it for an hour or so. I have a pretty steady transmission fluid leak. I was able to drive a little around the neighborhood but I can’t get the truck in reverse. I’ll be searching transmission troubleshooting now. If anyone has any tips, I’m all ears.

For now, I’m gonna celebrate driving her around town a little. I wasn’t sure I was gonna get to this point. Very satisfying. This site was the main thing that helped me get here. Thankful for all the info.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Sounds like the reverse drum/band is wasted. It will require a total dis-assembly to get that band replaced. It is a common issue. The transmission needs freshened up anyway at this point so it will make everything work better. Will it go in reverse if you wait a while and slightly increase the RPM's? Be careful. It could jump in reverse quickly. Report back. You should be able to feel it trying to go in reverse. I drove plow trucks like this. No reverse for a year. Fun stuff. But it would go just ever so slightly on level ground no up hill backing. Good Luck.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checking back in, this afternoon I got the ten-nine started with a gas rag with no added ATF. The fumes were enough to get me sputtering. I put some sea foam in the tank and ran it for an hour or so. I have a pretty steady transmission fluid leak. I was able to drive a little around the neighborhood but I can’t get the truck in reverse. I’ll be searching transmission troubleshooting now. If anyone has any tips, I’m all ears.

For now, I’m gonna celebrate driving her around town a little. I wasn’t sure I was gonna get to this point. Very satisfying. This site was the main thing that helped me get here. Thankful for all the info.

What was the issue?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks