• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it time yet to have that discussion? Hmmwv discrimination.

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the sticky threads on here about censoring certain topics, so if the site is still uncomfortable with this discussion. But, please hold your fire for one second. I am posting this to say something that needs to be known, and maybe (or not) adress it. Hopefiully we can continue this discussion and keep it civil.
Last time i went into the DMV here in the communist state of NY, to renew my m1088 registration, the kind lady behind the desk informed me, the DMV is putting out memo's abot refusing any military vehicle titling and registration. Citing "non-conforming vin#s and lack of following dot standards". Also, current titles as they are fought, are going to be revoked. The guy at the dmv office for inspection and safety said they got a letter from AM General saying they did not want hmmwv's on the roads in the US. Waiting to hear back from them to confirm that. We are loosing the right to register vehicles here in NY. And its not because of people "poking the bear". We are going to have to do something actively to fix this. At least at a state by state level. Who knows, maybe Trump can help us out! We cant just keep ignoring it anymore, because it no longer just affects hummers, it is now affecting everyone. Any ideas on what we can do? Have someone write up some legislation? Anybody know a good lawyer?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best advice anyone can give you is - MOVE. The NY legislature has already proven they have no feelings for the sanctity of life so why should they care about your military vehicle. Get out while you still can.

warcow105

I would say come on over to Jersey, but the Democratic people's republic of NJ is going downhill too. Pretty soon I think if kids are playing and do finger guns they will end up in jail lol.

Mike

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year is yours? Mine is a 1987 so is past the supposed 30 year requirement.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What DMV were you at?

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What DMV were you at?
The DMV in Dunkirk. Mine is a 94. They guy from albany was a complete Richard. He was offended i even mentioned the word hummer. He said they would NEVER register a number, because the gun was too short. I said, a lot of classic cars have a much shorter gun. Then he said it was because it dindt have airbags. Then i told him my 96 chevy didnt have airbags either. Thats when,he got really irritated and refered me to the legal department. I can move, but that still leaves a lot 9f people here tied down with family or financial circumstances. I just think, something should,be done to force them to register the vehicles that meet all safety requirements for the year they were built like all other cars.

DREDnot

Thats crazy. Here in the nation of El Norte, they have a convenient form to fill out to register Military Vehicles for on road use. They accept the MIL-STD-1180B Safety Interface standard. They have no issue with the short VIN. I had everything legal within 24 hours of getting my SF-97

Last edited:

springer1981

I think you need to start by finding someone in your elected government that sides with you. There is some good info in this thread ... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ill-in-Washington-State-Testimony-help-needed including the fact that the military vehicles are designed to meet the DOT specs of the day. There is little difference between the H1 Hummer that is road legal and HMMWV's. Virtually no safety differences.

If I was in your current shoes, I would look into that the state requirements are for building a custom vehicle. It usually involves go to a state inspector and having them issue a VIN number. I would start looking into it now before it gets worse.

Good Luck!

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you need to start by finding someone in your elected government that sides with you. There is some good info in this thread ... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ill-in-Washington-State-Testimony-help-needed including the fact that the military vehicles are designed to meet the DOT specs of the day. There is little difference between the H1 Hummer that is road legal and HMMWV's. Virtually no safety differences.

If I was in your current shoes, I would look into that the state requirements are for building a custom vehicle. It usually involves go to a state inspector and having them issue a VIN number. I would start looking into it now before it gets worse.

Good Luck!
Actually thats who I did end up calling, the state inspector for custom built vehicles. He was a total prick, and flat out refused any reason. Said it was a manufactured vehicle and does not fall under those rules. I am going to call some local politicians amd see where i get with some legislation. I know SEMA is helping someone in Michigan draft a MV friendly bill right now.

BLK HMMWV

Look the world is coming to the end in 12 years according to your new Rep. Occasional Cortex or what ever her name is.
She wants you taking the train anyway. You might as well sell it now and help save the planet.

Sorry my attempt at humor.

Last edited:

Amer-team

There are some good threads on here addressing this type of issue, including the 1998 letter from the FMVSS people addressing the idea that military vehicles are designed for 60 percent highway and 40 percent off road. There is also that Fed rule that vehicles over 25 years old don't have to meet FMVSS. Doesn't matter. I have been working on getting an M923A2 licensed for 2 years. The safety inspector wrote his report in such a way that the license office could not issue a plate. So I sent a note to the inspector asking exactly what regulation the truck did not meet. He responded that it wasn't him, it was the DOL. So no one is taking responsibility and a perfectly nice M923A2 just sits. it is sort of like the old argument that M151's are bad and should all be destroyed. Thank heavens we have managed to save a few for history.

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some good threads on here addressing this type of issue, including the 1998 letter from the FMVSS people addressing the idea that military vehicles are designed for 60 percent highway and 40 percent off road. There is also that Fed rule that vehicles over 25 years old don't have to meet FMVSS. Doesn't matter. I have been working on getting an M923A2 licensed for 2 years. The safety inspector wrote his report in such a way that the license office could not issue a plate. So I sent a note to the inspector asking exactly what regulation the truck did not meet. He responded that it wasn't him, it was the DOL. So no one is taking responsibility and a perfectly nice M923A2 just sits. it is sort of like the old argument that M151's are bad and should all be destroyed. Thank heavens we have managed to save a few for history.
Right, because in the end, they just dont want to do it, and we all know New York government doesnt need to follow the laws like everyone else. Just like they banned ar15's based on feelings, they are doing the same thing wish scary "assault" trucks. It took me a while too to register my first MV which was an M925A2. I went through 4 different workers to find a creative one that gave a crap to figure it out. I went to her for everything else after. She was the one that warned me what was coming. Someone in another state won a lawsuit forcing them to register one, but i cant remember where it was. Thats probably going to be what it takes here.

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As well as the information supplied by Ron in this thread.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?79853-Federal-sticker
Good info! It is clear from all this, military vehicles are exempted from the standards for the life of the vehicle. They have only segregated the m151 and hmmwv as a "policy" not a law. So someone somewhere made that policy, which is not enforcable since is not a law. Which is why that guy won the lawsuit (still trying to find the article again).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info! It is clear from all this, military vehicles are exempted from the standards for the life of the vehicle. They have only segregated the m151 and hmmwv as a "policy" not a law. So someone somewhere made that policy, which is not enforcable since is not a law. Which is why that guy won the lawsuit (still trying to find the article again).
[h=1]2012 Wis Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act[/h]
[h=1]Not over in Wisconsin, group plans constitutional amendment on road funding[/h]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks