Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it time yet to have that discussion? Hmmwv discrimination.

Thanks

I think you need to start by finding someone in your elected government that sides with you. There is some good info in this thread ... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ny-help-needed including the fact that the military vehicles are designed to meet the DOT specs of the day. There is little difference between the H1 Hummer that is road legal and HMMWV's. Virtually no safety differences.

If I was in your current shoes, I would look into that the state requirements are for building a custom vehicle. It usually involves go to a state inspector and having them issue a VIN number. I would start looking into it now before it gets worse.

Good Luck!
    1992 M998 "Avenger"

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simp5782 View Post
    When did a M1088 FMTV become a HMMWV?
    They are obviously two different trucks. My 1088 i had registered, she warned me they were starting to come after MV's of all types. The HMMWV I just bought cannot be registered in NY at all.

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by springer1981 View Post
    I think you need to start by finding someone in your elected government that sides with you. There is some good info in this thread ... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ny-help-needed including the fact that the military vehicles are designed to meet the DOT specs of the day. There is little difference between the H1 Hummer that is road legal and HMMWV's. Virtually no safety differences.

If I was in your current shoes, I would look into that the state requirements are for building a custom vehicle. It usually involves go to a state inspector and having them issue a VIN number. I would start looking into it now before it gets worse.

Good Luck!
    Actually thats who I did end up calling, the state inspector for custom built vehicles. He was a total prick, and flat out refused any reason. Said it was a manufactured vehicle and does not fall under those rules. I am going to call some local politicians amd see where i get with some legislation. I know SEMA is helping someone in Michigan draft a MV friendly bill right now.

Thanks

Look the world is coming to the end in 12 years according to your new Rep. Occasional Cortex or what ever her name is.
    She wants you taking the train anyway. You might as well sell it now and help save the planet.

Sorry my attempt at humor.
    Last edited by BLK HMMWV; 02-09-2019 at 00:40.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BLK HMMWV For This Useful Post:

Amer-team (02-09-2019), cwc (02-09-2019), elkhtr (02-09-2019), infidel got me (02-09-2019), NDT (02-09-2019), papakb (02-09-2019), porkysplace (02-08-2019), SCSG-G4 (02-12-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

There are some good threads on here addressing this type of issue, including the 1998 letter from the FMVSS people addressing the idea that military vehicles are designed for 60 percent highway and 40 percent off road. There is also that Fed rule that vehicles over 25 years old don't have to meet FMVSS. Doesn't matter. I have been working on getting an M923A2 licensed for 2 years. The safety inspector wrote his report in such a way that the license office could not issue a plate. So I sent a note to the inspector asking exactly what regulation the truck did not meet. He responded that it wasn't him, it was the DOL. So no one is taking responsibility and a perfectly nice M923A2 just sits. it is sort of like the old argument that M151's are bad and should all be destroyed. Thank heavens we have managed to save a few for history.

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amer-team View Post
    There are some good threads on here addressing this type of issue, including the 1998 letter from the FMVSS people addressing the idea that military vehicles are designed for 60 percent highway and 40 percent off road. There is also that Fed rule that vehicles over 25 years old don't have to meet FMVSS. Doesn't matter. I have been working on getting an M923A2 licensed for 2 years. The safety inspector wrote his report in such a way that the license office could not issue a plate. So I sent a note to the inspector asking exactly what regulation the truck did not meet. He responded that it wasn't him, it was the DOL. So no one is taking responsibility and a perfectly nice M923A2 just sits. it is sort of like the old argument that M151's are bad and should all be destroyed. Thank heavens we have managed to save a few for history.
    Right, because in the end, they just dont want to do it, and we all know New York government doesnt need to follow the laws like everyone else. Just like they banned ar15's based on feelings, they are doing the same thing wish scary "assault" trucks. It took me a while too to register my first MV which was an M925A2. I went through 4 different workers to find a creative one that gave a crap to figure it out. I went to her for everything else after. She was the one that warned me what was coming. Someone in another state won a lawsuit forcing them to register one, but i cant remember where it was. Thats probably going to be what it takes here.

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,664 Posts

Page 2 paragraph 2. It is in relation to the Dukw boats but it gives the stance on military vehicles from the NHTSA
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT3B turbo, Intercooled, #15 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 8" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    83' M923A1
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,664 Posts

As well as the information supplied by Ron in this thread.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ederal-sticker
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT3B turbo, Intercooled, #15 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 8" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    83' M923A1
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simp5782 View Post
    As well as the information supplied by Ron in this thread.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ederal-sticker
    Good info! It is clear from all this, military vehicles are exempted from the standards for the life of the vehicle. They have only segregated the m151 and hmmwv as a "policy" not a law. So someone somewhere made that policy, which is not enforcable since is not a law. Which is why that guy won the lawsuit (still trying to find the article again).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetruckguy View Post
    Good info! It is clear from all this, military vehicles are exempted from the standards for the life of the vehicle. They have only segregated the m151 and hmmwv as a "policy" not a law. So someone somewhere made that policy, which is not enforcable since is not a law. Which is why that guy won the lawsuit (still trying to find the article again).
    2012 Wis Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act

Not over in Wisconsin, group plans constitutional amendment on road funding

12. The Following User Says Thank You to porkysplace For This Useful Post:

cwc (02-09-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast