• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interior storage ideas

Dock Rocker

After spending last weekend camping out of my hmmwv I came to the conclusion that I need some better interior storage. I have all my recovery equipment in one of the rear under seat storage compartments and the other had my first aid kit and other small stuff I use often. Most of the time I don’t even have the cushion on the rear driver side just to use it for storage.

I found that all my camping gear just got thrown in the back foot wells and across the hump. It was a poorly organized pile-o camping junk.

What’s everyone doing for storage in the cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

Why not just keep camping gear in trailer?
You have a giant roof rack. Why not put your camping stuff up there?
They make weather proof travel bags for just about everything nowadays ,
or you can have custom ones made.
Not much room inside a HMMWV anyway.
Stowage space under rear seats and the little cubby hole under drivers adjustable seat .
If your not going to ever try to acquire the proper radio gear for the radio tray then you could make some kind of custom console in that location .

I guess it depends on the configuration of HMMWV but the only viable spots are on top of the fenders or roof.
The only other item that was sort of made for the HMMWV was the storage box found on some of the SF trucks.
I guess it all comes down to if you want to keep it looking like a military vehicle or turn it into something else.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always throw down carpet and then use velcro attached to padded foam rods to compartmentalize the rear of any vehicle. There are a variety of string mesh and web options to hold things in place and out of the way. I also use "Stop and Shop" portable collapsible grocery "boxes" to hold things in place when needed (and collapse and folded when not needed). The Aluminum internal compartment separator is also a strong idea. There are tie downs along the inside of the trailer and the HMMWV, for holding things in place AND/OR creating string/rope walls.

I have used all in vehicles from my Durango to my LandCruiser to my Tesla Model X to my BMW X6M package to the HMMWV.

All work well.

I also bought an M1102 trailer with fiberglass cap.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

I like to go for the option of containerizing things. Last camping trip, I did a military version of glamping. Brought as much of "the base" as I could muster up. Primarily had equipment in its designated transit containers (tents, field sink, camouflage screen, etc), then packed loose things into various hard cases. Stuff like fuel and water cans were placed side-by-side and then ratchet-strapped to the floor tie-down points. Large things that were "loose" (field stove and it's oversized accessories) were wedged between large cases, and then everything that still wasn't individually strapped down got secured via a Load Tamer cargo net. It's effectively a large cargo net that you throw over top of a stack of loose cargo, clip in to all of the floor tie-downs, and then cinch a perimeter rope on the net to tightly hold onto everything. With that setup, the only "load shift" I encountered was a drink spilling in the cab, because of the lack of cupholders. :whistle:

If you need simple ideas for what kind of containers you can make use of, look for surplus pelican cases or the general use hard-side transit cases. As well, there's all kinds of ammo cans that can handle smaller materials. All of the stuff "looks the part" and can be used to secure all of the little things into logical places, then you just hold it down with a good cargo net to keep it in-place.

JoeJrTheBarber

Looking forward to seeing how you do it. Have had similar thoughts myself but got worried about the amount of mods needed.

BDGR
Shouldn't be all too involved. A buddy of mine is a master welder so I pretty much give him the idea and he can make it happen.
I will make sure to post our progress as we go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks