• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A1R Alternator/Charging Conversion Solution

deleted user 89485

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have found my answer to eliminating the “military only” and rare parts in the electrical system. I will replace the Niehoff alternator with a $500 CAT brushless 24vdc unit and a CAT alternator bracket. I will wire all batteries for 24vdc operation. I will install a 24-12 converter and feed the 12vdc loads directly at the main cut off switch. That way the 12 volt side will see no change and neither will the 24vdc side. I can eliminate the LBCD completely and only will loose the function of the “No Charge” light on the dash as the LBCD controls this light. I will still have operational gauges for my 12 and 24 voltages . A 100 amp converter will be plenty for the 12 volt side as I only get around a 32 amp draw with everything operational on the 12 volt side. If I still want to know when the alternator stops outputting I am sure I could install some sort of ammeter later to monitor that. With this method I can go anywhere I want and any of the parts I need for the alternator or charging system will never be more than 2 days away. Everything would be available on the open civilian market including Amazon. I could still retain the LBCD to provide reverse polarity protection for the 24 volt side if I wanted. The converter has that protection built into it for the 12 volt side. What does the group think?

Last edited:

deleted user 89485

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exact same step can be used on earlier trucks with no loss of any functionality. The early polarity protection device does not monitor the battery charging circuit and provide a ground for a No Charge light if it detects low output voltage from the alternator. This can be done for less than the price of the front 12 volt SCR pack in the Niehoff alternator.That is if you can even get someone to sell you one and then find someone to do the work.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's a good idea. Agree the Niehoff parts are very scarce. Let us know what Cat p/ns you end up using.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 100 amp battery equalizer will work just fine for 12v. I think the lbcd did some charge regulating. Especially for agm type batteries. It will still act as reverse polarity protection with the cannon plug disconnected. You may be able to leave it in place just remove the 12v feed from the alternator. You will want to have a disconnect on the 12v output of the equalizer to batteries. I think the sure power model auto turn on with the 12volt load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks