• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce with duals... tire questions

2deuce

Hello,
I've spent a lot of time reading about the options and seem to be second guessing my original decision. I already have tires 1100x20, G177, michelin XML, and NDCC I also have goodyear steer tires in 1100X20. I also have a set of 1200x20 NDCC tires, but I don't think I can dual them or are spacers an option? I originally thought I'd use a set of G177, but then I saw the camber issue. I also read about the G177 being drive tires. Now I'm thinking about using the 1100x20 NDCC so I won't have or as likely to have rubbing issues in the rear and no camber problems. I have an air assist I was going to install but now not so sure of that either, if it's needed, or what camber it should have. I still have the 900x20 stock tires too and 4 10" wheels if I decided to single it. If I do go with the 1100x20 G177 tires will the rubbing in the rear be less being there is only one axle? Does having one rear axle affect camber in any way in the front? If I used a steer tire in the front, does that affect camber? The truck will be used on the highway or gravel roads, not much at all offroad. Please help if you know the answers. I've read so many opinions I'm confused. I've also thought there may not be hard fast answers, that every truck is different because of wear. In which case where should I start if wear is taken out of the picture?
Thanks

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the 11.00 G177 on the rear and A3 rims with 365 on the front. They are almost exactly the same revolutions per mile and have flotation and wider track in the front than the reversed budds. Myself, I'm going 395's all the way around...but I like the stability of the duals too, it just takes 2 style spares with the above combination and the 365 is not cheap.

2deuce

I remember reading about how much the 365's were liked, but don't remember if there was a camber adjustment necessary or if air assist was necessary and the camber adjustment with that. The other problem is I don't have any 365's, but couldn't a 1100 be used as a spare since they are the same circumference?

Thanks

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it is radials that make the camber issue worse. Bigger radials make it bigger worse. Don't be put off with that camber project, it's not that difficult. Yes, sure, use the 11.00 as a spare.

eagle4g63

I loved my truck set up with the 14.5(or 365) front tires on A3 rims and used 11.00 dueled out on back....LOVED it still think it was the best set up I've run on a deuce yet...and I just used an 11.00 as a spare, and yes I have had to use it on the front with one side still having the 14.5. Remember you will only be using the spare like this to get home or to a tire shop to fix the original tire.

Never had any rubbing with this set up. Backs(and spare) had original A2 rims and front as said A3 rims.

Attachments

eagle4g63

Oh, yeah forgot...I don't have any steering assist on the truck(or any of them) and really don't notice any difference, the only time I hated the original steering was with 395's on it. But lets get real the deuce will never be a finger spin in a parking lot not moving like a modern car with power steering.

I also didn't do anything to the camber on my truck, I can say...the NDT's wear out faster than ANY tire I have tried on a deuce and I did have ALL brand new ones on this last truck...hate how fast they wore down.

2deuce

I have read where guys have put 395's on stock wheels. I have also read where there are different styles of beads. I also wonder how safe this is. I also have at least 2 Michelin Pilot 15.5/80r20 that I forgot about. They would be too big to be used with 1100x20 tires, but what bead style wheel do they take? I need to figure what my wide 20"wheels are, I think they are re-centered HEMTT wheels.

eagle4g63

I did run 395's(same as 15.5) on factory A2 rims....its just how it came when I bought it...was a bitch to change a flat! I originally wanted to go with the larger rims but ended up getting rid of that truck before I did....You DON'T want to run those with 11.00's they are way to large....also don't use them on A3 rims, different bead.....the only wide tire combo I had come up with back then was the 14.5(365) and the 11.00 tire size was only a couple of 10ths of an inch different with the same manufacturer...NEW after a little road time a tire will wear and pretty much can also become a couple of 10th's different from tire to tire on the same truck....so no biggie.

The only problem is the 14.5 is not a common tire anymore so they are very pricey if you find them, I wish I could find some new or near new xl's like I had on that pic, LOVED those tires.

Post a pic of the large rims you have, I'm sure someone on here will know what they are....lots of very smart guys on here.

2deuce

So the 15.5 and the 395 are the same style bead. That's good to know. The wide wheels are at a friends house. He made 4 of the same for his bobbed deuce and he put 1600x20's on those. I decided to go smaller, although his truck looks great. From memory they are HEMTT wheels, I just need to ask him.

eagle4g63

I believe they are, I had 395's and a buddy had the 15.5's, I do know for sure they are the same size tire....Not 100% sure they had the same bead, but I do think so. I do know 100% that the 14.5's were a different bead and went with the A3 rims. Maybe another member that still uses those tires will chime in and give a definitive answer.

MudMarine

I just got a steal of a deal on 7 XL's mounted on A2 rims. Haven't broken them down yet though. When I do I'll take pictures of the beads.

I would kill to find a set of that tread pattern in 11 Soni could dual them out in back. These trucks look awesome in that configuration!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember reading about how much the 365's were liked, but don't remember if there was a camber adjustment necessary or if air assist was necessary and the camber adjustment with that. The other problem is I don't have any 365's, but couldn't a 1100 be used as a spare since they are the same circumference?

Thanks
Some of my combinations.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The 14.5s are an mpt bead, not the same as the 395 normal bead. I'll see if I can find a link to the correct info.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not going to lie, I like the bobbed deuce with single NDTs better than I thought I would. It looks pretty cool!
Get a set of the 14.00 NDT's. At the time I had some I wasn't ready to go 4x4 and 14.00 no work on the 6x6 deuce rear.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks