• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Project Truck.

Larry Weibert

Hi Team. I have several trucks i bought back in 2000-2005. I finally retired and want to start working on them. I wanted to do somethng with one of the M35a2s to start using to camp and daily driver. I have been following and reading many of the threads for some time now.

Has anyone just lifted one with 395's. I was thinking of bobbing but maybe just a lift,PS and larger tires would be a better starter project.

Any thoughts i dont really like the looks of 395 on the truck without a lift.

eagle4g63

My first deuce had 395's(46")...no lift. I loved and hated the set up, first spare tire is a real bear to get it to fit where it would normally go. Power is very lacking and the tire size doesn't help much...I know I'm gonna get a lot of grief from guys running them about that, but it is just my opinion. I definitely think that bobbed would help with that though. The truck does look mean as all get up on those large tires...my favorite size is the 11.00(43") tires, for some reason the truck just does all around better, just a little more speed and still has power to run them easily...I did use the 14.5's on the front of mine with the 11's dueled on the back and just carried an 11.00 as a spare.

Old Haspin photo.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

Hi Eagle. Tks for the reply. I was afraid of that the third axle with those big tires probubly sucks power. One of my Dueces came from Groton RI the sub base. It has single 1100's on it with the hubs swapped thats the way i got it. It does 70MPH and the only one that has some sticcker saying its for diesel only on the motor. I think they turned it up as it goes way better then the others with 10 wheels or maybe its the extra load not sure. I was hoping if I did that one it would turn them but sounds sketchy.

Did you have any issues with clearance not being lifted.

eagle4g63

Don't get me wrong, 395's are possible and depending on what you are gonna do with the truck you might not notice it too bad...I drove mine everyday ALL the time for everything I did...I even drove it on the highway, great top speed on flat ground...a hill takes it out of the truck real fast...lol

It's been a real long time since I had that truck, it was my first. It also had those tires on original A2 rims, rear tires turned not the hubs...I had only the slightest little rub on full bump stop turning...if you used the larger rims with adapters like everyone USUALLY runs than it takes care of the rubbing.

I by no means babied any of my trucks, they will stretch out nicely with the large tires....Old Haspin photos

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Eagle. Tks for the reply. I was afraid of that the third axle with those big tires probubly sucks power. One of my Dueces came from Groton RI the sub base. It has single 1100's on it with the hubs swapped thats the way i got it. It does 70MPH and the only one that has some sticcker saying its for diesel only on the motor. I think they turned it up as it goes way better then the others with 10 wheels or maybe its the extra load not sure. I was hoping if I did that one it would turn them but sounds sketchy.

Did you have any issues with clearance not being lifted.
Even with 11:00's your pushing the max RPM's , the diesel only just means the FDC is bypassed.

Larry Weibert

Nice Pics eagle looks like you had alot of fun with that truck. TKS for the feedback on the rubbing.

TKS porky for the feedback on the rpms. The guy at the sub base when i picked it up said this truck was worked on and a favorite we used it to run loads over the highway. I drove it home back in 05 doing 65 the whole way. It hasnt run in 10 years last week i started it up with fresh batterys it took right off. I did a check of the brake system throw a dealer plate on it and it hit 65 with the diffs cold. That truck seams so different from the other ones i have. I have several sets of 395's so if i can get adapters made ill probably tray and throw a set on to see how it takes them.

I have a few junk f-600s and I dodge larger trucks that have power steering. that's going to be a soon issue iam sure as I hate the steering in the deuces. Its seams like the one with the 1100s steers easier then the others as well.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Pics eagle looks like you had alot of fun with that truck. TKS for the feedback on the rubbing.

TKS porky for the feedback on the rpms. The guy at the sub base when i picked it up said this truck was worked on and a favorite we used it to run loads over the highway. I drove it home back in 05 doing 65 the whole way. It hasnt run in 10 years last week i started it up with fresh batterys it took right off. I did a check of the brake system throw a dealer plate on it and it hit 65 with the diffs cold. That truck seams so different from the other ones i have. I have several sets of 395's so if i can get adapters made ill probably tray and throw a set on to see how it takes them.

I have a few junk f-600s and I dodge larger trucks that have power steering. that's going to be a soon issue iam sure as I hate the steering in the deuces. Its seams like the one with the 1100s steers easier then the others as well.
The Saginaw 710ih box is a popular steering box for deuces.

dmetalmiki

Hmm..Sorry to put a squib in your thoughts, But no way is that capable of 70MPH!,
69, MPH with 1600s and 2800 rpm is max with my 5-Ton. (Nav Checked).
Once only checked.
All and EVERY cruise to shows 55MPH. (Or Less).
SAFE!.
And a considerate 1850 RPM.

Last edited:

Larry Weibert

Tks for the feedback Iam sure then the speedo must be wrong. It reads past the 60 mark by the same distance from between the 50-60. I just noticed this is why different then the others when I brought them home. 4 were stored inside there really nice so I don't want to mess with them yet. I feel bad for the ones outside which are all m35s so I figured those cant get hurt by changing them. That's why I was thinking of bobbing or something. I want to make one a driver for this summer at the rocket launches out in Potter NY ( URRG.us ) we camp and a few friends in the local MV club want to start camping there as well so I am really looking forward to doing something with one.
Its amazing when I bought them I was so excited thinking oh ill get to them next year. A lot of the so many builds that happened in 09 - 13 I was watching thinking oh ya next year.
Now its 15 years later and I am just getting started where did the time go. This site and my buddy jim who drives a 923 got me fired up again. Iam looking forward to it.

eagle4g63

I know how you feel about the time...I've been telling myself I need to get my deuce back running, I'll start working on it this weekend....it's been just over 2 years I've been saying that!

And now that I'm back spending time on here again the bug is REALLY making me miss driving my truck.

Larry Weibert

Eagle well said. This site is what has gotten me going that and retirement. Back in 2009 I got heavily involved in a rocket club. They launch big stuff to 18 K. I got sucked in as green and rockets work well together its natural. I wound up being a heavy hand in the club and now that I am retired meaning I left one of 4 jobs all of which I love. I am trying to go back to my root likings, which was always the green machines.

Little history. A farmer had a m35 with a water tank on the back. As a young kid It was always parked in the field. My self and a few buddies would sit in that and play with the knobs and just think of what it would be like to drive. I built a couple 40's to 60's jeeps in my 30s loved them they had 35 monster mudders arbs and I loved mudding. I was building a new building for my auto shop in the early 90's. I needed a site dump truck. An Indian friend said I have one you can use if you get it going. It was a 50's 6x6 gas dump. It was buried to the axles with flat tires in a field and full of wasp nests. I put battery's in it. sprayed some starting fluid in it and it started right up. What was in the tank was at least 10 yrs old. I drove it home with no brakes with what at best was 10 lbs in the tires slowing down wasn't a problem except once. I used that truck to move hundreds of yards of dirt on site and fell in love with army green shuff. By 2000 I found GL and saw the deals and jumped in. I like you Eagle got on this site and everyone else's projects got me going again.

Iam not about speed but I want to find out what that truck that MIKI questioned really does. This site is heavy on pics and more pics and I love that as seeing is believing. It helps get us all going.

I have two generators in the back of it right now. Ill get it started up and put the peddle down and see what it will do while my buddy Big Jim video's and GPS it on his phone so we all know. Its 23 degrees in buffalo area but that wont stop it from starting and running. Ill keep you posted curiosity killed the Cat you know and I am curios.

eagle4g63

Best I've had a deuce as the GPS said, was 69MPH...It was a very brief spurt...a couple seconds at best, and going down a slight hill(so pretty much no load strain to suck power)...the truck was right at the absolute redline max that would almost send parts flying and the truck had 395's on it...I really was pushing the truck just to see it happen, had a buddy with me that REALLY knows these trucks and he told me to back off as soon as we hit that....we weren't going to be able to hit 70 the motor sounded like it was gonna let go any second.

As stated these things are gear bound like a son of a B....so unless your truck has a gear set put in the axles or it has a true overdrive 5th gear than no matter how great the motor runs....all my trucks have the fdc bypassed and I have even had a 5 ton motor in my truck, they just aren't gonna get to 70 before the motor explodes from revving too high....and BEFORE any body says it is possible, I know anything is possible with enough money thrown at it, but the bottom line is 99.9% of guys on here aren't millionaires with a tractor pull custom built motor in a deuce just so it will go above the geared speed these things will do.

My original plans and still hopeful plans are...turned up multi(or 5 ton) running great so you have good power, put true 5th gear overdrive set in trans, and run 11.00's(like I have in those pics) and then of course brake upgrade....truck should have the gearing and the power to hit 70 but more important be able to comfortable cruise at 60-65 give or take and NOT fall on its face when you happen to hit a little bit of a hill(even if you do have to down shift).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks