• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally bypassed the FDC in my deuce.

rustystud

Haha wouldn't go that far! Just a good ol boy that faked it through college!
Twice they tried to get me to go to Annapolis. I turned them down both times. I didn't want to commit to six more years minimum to except a "commission" . My brother did though. Not Marines but Army. Came out a full bird "Kernal" . Get it !!!
Yeah he doesn't think it's funny either.

rustystud

back to the original topic (sort-of) does anyone make an EGT gauge that looks somewhat original? I haven't been able to find one.

I just don't like eyesores that don't match with everything else (and no, I don't want to replace everything in the dash!)
No one that I've seen makes a gauge that looks like the military ones. So I went with a standard black bezel white interior gauge. Looks OK to me.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2in gauges are a little small. WESTACH makes a dual EGT and boost gauge. Mounted in a pod on the steering column, in line of sight, and painted green, it looks like something that *could* be stock.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

rustystud

The 2in gauges are a little small. WESTACH makes a dual EGT and boost gauge. Mounted in a pod on the steering column, in line of sight, and painted green, it looks like something that *could* be stock.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Wasn't that steering column bracket made by "Peashooter" (Aaron) ? I'm pretty sure it was. I remember buying it from him I'm sure. That was a few years ago now, but I'm still pretty sure it was "Peashooter" .
I bought some "Hewitt" gauges for mine. At least I think they are Hewitt !
Man my brain is mush today ! Must be the new drugs I'm on for my bladder. OLD AGE SUCKS !!!!!!!

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Aaron made a square pod with room for alarm lights. I am just using a standard round gauge pod that clamps to the steering column. It's green so it belongs there.

davidb56

I used a U bolt and pod on the steering column. My gauge can rotate inside the pod as to stay level when I adjust it to offset on the right. I have a audible alarm option, and a programmable dimmer. I got mine from "the sensor connection". priority mail is standard, and made in the USA. everyone there speaks english and answers the phone too, here in the USA.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
back to the original topic (sort-of) does anyone make an EGT gauge that looks somewhat original? I haven't been able to find one.

I just don't like eyesores that don't match with everything else (and no, I don't want to replace everything in the dash!)
I had one from Hewit that was really close to stock.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Last week I bypassed the FDC in my 1971 M35A2. Today I finally got to take it out on a test run to see if the differences described in several Steel Soldiers posts, would apply to my truck. The difference in hill pulling was simply unbelievable. Hills that made me downshift all the way down to third gear, could now be pulled in fifth. My EGT display now has become a vital part of this truck, as I now can easily hit the 1200 degree F limit. But that being said, the improvement to the performance of this truck is amazing. Thanks for all the posts on bypassing the FDC. The procedures shown were easy to follow. I highly recommend all deuce owners to install EGT gauges on their trucks, and then bypass their fuel density compensators.
Where is a good diagram or how to, for the FDC bypass? Have a EGT gauge ready as well. Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is a good diagram or how to, for the FDC bypass? Have a EGT gauge ready as well. Thanks
Forgot what I had for dinner last night so I also do not remember the pic of your IP. Pulling deep for the memory or maybe the waist basket yours did not have an FDC. I need coffee right now as it is 4:30 am and I need to see a pic of IP again.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Forgot what I had for dinner last night so I also do not remember the pic of your IP. Pulling deep for the memory or maybe the waist basket yours did not have an FDC. I need coffee right now as it is 4:30 am and I need to see a pic of IP again.
Found the photo I took last week. Did some of them come without FDC's?

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep there is the little bugger. FDC bad bug on the arrow and the cross is the tin cover you will remove and throw away. Put the two little bolts back . That will give you access to the main fuel control we talked about.

Attachments

Last edited:

Merc1973

To confirm what I understand:

In order to bypass FDC (without adjusting fuel) an EGT is required since the FDC does not work anymore?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To confirm what I understand:

In order to bypass FDC (without adjusting fuel) an EGT is required since the FDC does not work anymore?
.....since removing the FDC without making any adjustments to the fuel quantity adjuster automatically leads to the fuel quantity injected being on the high side. The details will depend upon how the quantity setting was previously adjusted. High fuel quantity will increase power, but also drive up the exhaust gas temperature (which the turbocharger is exposed to). You will not know what the situation is, unless you have a way to measure said exhaust gas temperature.

Merc1973

.....since removing the FDC without making any adjustments to the fuel quantity adjuster automatically leads to the fuel quantity injected being on the high side. The details will depend upon how the quantity setting was previously adjusted. High fuel quantity will increase power, but also drive up the exhaust gas temperature (which the turbocharger is exposed to). You will not know what the situation is, unless you have a way to measure said exhaust gas temperature.
Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks