• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible rear main leak fakeout.

edpdx

I've noticed a leak under the Blazer that looks like it comes from the area ahead of the torque converter. While pulling my Vacuum pump to replace the POD, I see the gasket is just a memory. It's pouring rain here in Oregon, so I'll have to see later if the cause of the oil leak might have been this gasket- I didn't think of it as the culprit at the time I pulled the pump out.

Does anyone know if the hole for the distributor gasket as a gas version 6.2? I've been looking for a part number in the TM's but I wasn't even able to find the Vacuum Pump in the 10p, 20p, or 34p.

Last edited:

dougco1

I've noticed a leak under the Blazer that looks like it comes from the area ahead of the torque converter. While pulling my Vacuum pump to replace the POD, I see the gasket is just a memory. It's pouring rain here in Oregon, so I'll have to see later if the cause of the oil leak might have been this gasket- I didn't think of it as the culprit at the time I pulled the pump out.

Does anyone know if the hole for the distributor gasket as a gas version 6.2? I've been looking for a part number in the TM's but I wasn't even able to find the Vacuum Pump in the 10p, 20p, or 34p.
I'll bet the farm that your injector pump or your injector lines are leaking at the pump. When it leaks, it runs down the valley, picks up a bunch of crap on the way and down the backside by the flywheel. By the time it hits the pavement it looks like an oil leak.

998Junkie

I'll bet the farm that your injector pump or your injector lines are leaking at the pump. When it leaks, it runs down the valley, picks up a bunch of crap on the way and down the backside by the flywheel. By the time it hits the pavement it looks like an oil leak.
I had the exact same issue. Even after it was fixed (leaking at an injector port) I leaked for a while but it eventually stopped. I'll go with dougco's bet.

edpdx

I'm gonna check your diagnosis in the morning. I don't think you're wrong, but is your place fenced... I have dogs. ;)

Barrman

I tried putting a gas distributor gasket on a 6.2 vacuum pump. Same size hole but the inside of the gasket is too big to fit over the pump. It needs to be cut. Then it should fit. I didn’t get that far. My new, but old dried out cork gasket broke when I tried it on. I went with the Right Stuff since I needed the truck back together at that time.

nyoffroad

I've had rear main seals leak twice on 6.2s and both seemed to leak when the engine was warm and run at highway speeds. No easy fix if it is the rear main, hope that little bit of info helps find the problem.

cucvrus

I've had rear main seals leak twice on 6.2s and both seemed to leak when the engine was warm and run at highway speeds. No easy fix if it is the rear main, hope that little bit of info helps find the problem.
Rear main seal is child's play. The worst part is getting very dirty. I wear an old pair of clothing and plan on spending a day getting it apart. I let it sit a day or 2 and drip dry. During the drip dry period I clean and paint all the parts I removed. I then replace the rear main seal and use the 2 and 8 o'clock as the seal area 10 and 4 will work also. do Not put the seal seam in the 3 and 9 position. You are asking for trouble. A few I had to loosen all the main caps. Most not. I use the turn method to get the seal seated and then reassemble. I take my time and clean every nut and bolt. If I do NOT have low oil pressure problems I don't change the oil pump. Do as you wish. I would say the original pump is fine and it is just adding expense to a job that is relatively inexpensive from a parts list. Oil pressure is not corrected with a new oil pump. But as I always say do as you wish. I use gaskets and the Right Stuff. Never had any leaks after the fix. I know the DUDE M1028 has over 175K and the seal was replaced once. Oil leaks are bad. I do not like them at all. These old trucks can develop a few oil leaks and I try and fix them as they arise. Have a Great Day. Stay warm and watch the ice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks