• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just another LMTV build thread

Dock Rocker

And so it begins.

Meet Max. My 3 year old cane up with that a little while ago.
IMG_5510.jpg

He is a 1994 model. It’s still early in the game but I have a feeling there are quite a few issues that will need to be dealt with.

My short term plan is to get all of the systems checked and all of the PM’s done.
Long term, who knows?

First order of business. Someone caged the brakes. I got that knocked out and now I can actually use the park brake.
IMG_5514.jpg

Second order of business. Fix the &$@$ cab tilt latch so I can see what’s under the cab.
IMG_5517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaAKM

You have to work your way thru the issues & then you will have a fine truck to drive around causing people to ask you, "Why do you have that thing." Good luck with Max.

CapePrep

There is a guy in the northwest that has a bunch of videos on youtube about his build out. He just did one on the cab lock repair specifically. Can't remember his name but if you do an LMTV search I know you will find it.
And so it begins.

Meet Max. My 3 year old cane up with that a little while ago.
View attachment 755724

He is a 1994 model. It’s still early in the game but I have a feeling there are quite a few issues that will need to be dealt with.

My short term plan is to get all of the systems checked and all of the PM’s done.
Long term, who knows?

First order of business. Someone caged the brakes. I got that knocked out and now I can actually use the park brake.
View attachment 755723

Second order of business. Fix the &$@$ cab tilt latch so I can see what’s under the cab.
View attachment 755725

Dock Rocker

There is a guy in the northwest that has a bunch of videos on youtube about his build out. He just did one on the cab lock repair specifically. Can't remember his name but if you do an LMTV search I know you will find it.
That’s Sean Fillner. You are right. He is quite a bit of help.

Dock Rocker

Well today was a draw. I took a few steps forward and just as many back.

I did get the cab unlatched and raised for maintenance on the engine.

I put a new o-ring in the latching mechanism and it worked well enough to raise the cab.
IMG_5524.jpg
IMG_5525.jpg
The old o-ring was jacked and the spring was pitted pretty bad.

Success!
IMG_5530.jpg

While raising the cab it began to look like the Exxon Valdez under the truck. It was also raining a mist of oil. From the pump vent.

Looks like I will be rebuilding the pump next.

Lastly while i was at the controller I pushed the airbag button in and I heard an air leak. Looks like that needs to be added to the todo list.

Dock Rocker

Well I won a few today. I got a new CTIS pressure switch and it seem to have fixed my wacky CTIS issue.

I got the start relay change out. It had died and Bryce made a roadside hack to make it work.
IMG_5563.jpg

Topped off the power steering

And cleaned up the air filter. To bad it’s such a small thing
IMG_5565.jpg

I went to top off the oil and it was 3 gallons low. That was a little shocking.

I got the fuel filters late this afternoon. Going to swap them out tomorrow.

The hand pump does work for the cab tilt so Incan at least raise and lower it now that the latch is working. Making slow progress.

Dock Rocker

Well progress was made today.

I got the ragged out top off and the troop seats out.
IMG_5569.jpg
IMG_5573.jpg

I removed the birds nest from behind the passenger headlight.
IMG_5571.jpg
IMG_5572.jpg

Speaking of headlights. I put a pair of speakers in

IMG_5576.jpg

I got the higher pressure sensor added for the CTIS.

IMG_5575.jpg

Lastly I got the batteries running on the repair setting on the NOCO charger. This should desulfate things and start the rehab process.

IMG_5577.jpg

Dock Rocker

Check you air dryer to see if it is glopped up with what looks like mayonnaise. If so, it needs a rebuild or a replacement.
I have a feeling it will look like blue plate inside. My plans are to replace it the parts to rebuild are almost he same price as a new unit. Going to try to limp along until then.

Dock Rocker

Well the last week has been a bit of an exercise in futility.

I had an air leak that out of ignorance though was being generated by my tractor protection valve. After reading everything I could about it I ordered a new one as well as a rebuild kit.

The day came and I swapped the TPV and not my problems were MUCH worse. I could not hold an acceptable level of air on my brakes after more than three pumps of the brakes and all of my rear brakes were gone. I checked and then rechecked my install and it looked right.

IMG_5655.jpg

I decided to try to eliminate all the variables I could so I rebuilt the original TPV and reinstalled it.

IMG_5677.jpg

I guess I got a bad valve because my old valve worked perfectly. Now i get to fight eBay to try to send it back.

All in all at least I have a newly rebuilt TPV. One less thing to worry about.

I checked the diff’s. Both had good fluid levels and no water in them.

Next week between jobs will be servicing the hubs. Cleaning up the battery box and waiting on new the relays to arrive from China. Apparently they are in a slow boat.

Skinner23

Is this going to be ready in time to make the drive to Denton?? And will the hmmwv fit on the bed when you fold the sides down?
I know that thought has had to have crossed your mind at least once.

Dock Rocker

I don’t think I want to gamble but yes it’s definitely crossed my mind!

The hmmwv is leaving out in the morning to begin he transmission transplant. 4 speed or bust.

IMG_5828.jpg

Skinner23

I don’t think I want to gamble but yes it’s definitely crossed my mind!

The hmmwv is leaving out in the morning to begin he transmission transplant. 4 speed or bust.

View attachment 757762

Sometimes I wish I had gone ahead and sprung for the transmission upgrade when it was in the shop a few months back but the pockets had just about run dry. Ha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks