• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy here (again): Can I pull a pup dump trailer with M939? Air brake question...

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the reasons I'm looking for a M939 is to haul road-base gravel where there is no road. Assuming I get a M939 and I convert the bed to a dump bed, I'm also thinking about buying a civilian pup dump trailer and using the pintle to pull it. These are fairly common and cheap in my area but want to make sure the civilian dump trailers (or any civilian trailer) with air brakes hooks up to the M939 without issue. Is the military truck and civilian trailer air brake systems compatible? Any modifications I need to do? Maybe this is an obvious issue but I'm still learning. And I'm assuming electrical will be a separate issue but I understand there are adapters for that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The air brake systems and connectors are the same as used on civilian semi trucks. You would need to add a wire connector for trailer lights along with a voltage converter. Or ensure the trailer is swapped to LEDs

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds too easy but I like it. Swapping the bulbs out for LED is a great idea too.

It’s been a long time since I used air brakes but I remember not to pump them like hydraulic brakes. Any other tips?

74M35A2

Smart of you to ask ahead of time. Trailer air should be as Simp said, one port is Emergency (constant air supply to trailer), and one port is Service (brake pedal air "signal" to apply trailer brakes).

There is a guy who makes 24v mil to 12v civilian trailer conversion adapters. I was lazy and bought one (vs making one) and had him add an additional 2 circuits I wanted, he does an A1 job on the construction on functionality. Mine works perfectly. It just gives you another option. Here is the website, has decent info: https://www.xm381.com/Mil_to_Civi_Info.html

The LED lights are a good way to go as well, as you would not want to lose the ability to still pull the civilian trailer with a pickup truck. Your trailer would likely have a 12v electric hydraulic pump with onboard battery, so you may need 12v as battery charge power from your truck. The conversion box offers this via 24-12 DC-to-DC converters within it. If the standard amperage is not to your liking, he can use larger ones or double them up.

Nothing special about air brakes. Still just a pedal and friction material. Air is just used to push the shoes instead of fluid. Keep your air dryer in clean working condition and don't pull away until truck pressure has reached a minimum of 60psi.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

2 things additional if you are going to pull a pup you will want to add some weight in the back as a fully loaded pup will weigh twice as much as your 5 ton. You will have to add hydraulics with a capacity large enough to run a telescoping ram. One final thought you might want to add a Johnson brake like the tractors have to control sway if you are pulling weight for long distances at high speeds or hills.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look for a M917

M917 Military Dump Truck manufactured by AM General with a Cummins NTC-400 Diesel Engine and 16-Speed Caterpillar 7155 Semi-Automatic Transmission. The M917 series truck has a 75,000 LB GVWR and a Hydraulic Dump Box that can haul up to 20 cu yd of material.

Attachments

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 things additional if you are going to pull a pup you will want to add some weight in the back as a fully loaded pup will weigh twice as much as your 5 ton. You will have to add hydraulics with a capacity large enough to run a telescoping ram. One final thought you might want to add a Johnson brake like the tractors have to control sway if you are pulling weight for long distances at high speeds or hills.
Ok-I agree about hauling a fully loaded pup without any weight in the truck is not a safe idea. Will keep that in mind. As for the Johnson brake, I understand that's a mechanical way to engage the trailer brakes without engaging the truck brakes. Same idea as having the electric brake controller in my regular pickup truck, right?

I wouldn't go very far with a loaded trailer or really anything with a 5-ton. My ranch is about 10 miles from a gravel pit with most of that being country roads at 45 mph or below. Other than sometimes heading to the gravel pit or maybe to the equipment rental place for a backhoe/small dozer, my truck will be mainly driving around the ranch.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look for a M917

M917 Military Dump Truck manufactured by AM General with a Cummins NTC-400 Diesel Engine and 16-Speed Caterpillar 7155 Semi-Automatic Transmission. The M917 series truck has a 75,000 LB GVWR and a Hydraulic Dump Box that can haul up to 20 cu yd of material.
Yes, that's one mean dump truck!!! But it's way overkill and only a one-trick pony for what I need on my little ranch. And I'm afraid to ask what one of those will cost me if I find one.

snowtrac nome

I would look for a M917

I would love to find one it would be perfect for up here.

fasttruck

The "Johnny brake" or hand applicator valve typically controls the brakes on the trailer independent of the tractor. They apparently can be plumbed on a straight truck to operate all the service brakes. I have seen tractors with 2 hand applicator valves which would suggest one for the tractor and one for the trailer.

snowtrac nome

yes the johnny brake is used for the trailer application only and can be used for sway control in the event the trailer starts to push the tow vehicle around while descending a hill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks