• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep806a shuts off when start switch released

dbjra

Hi anyone
i am new to forum and hope to get help troubleshooting mep806A 60kw generator. i got unit to start and run as long as i hold the start switch on. the starter doesnt keep starting because i had to manually close the contacts on the starter solenoid. once it fires up, of course i release starter contacts. unit runs only if i hold starter switch on. once i release switch, the unit shuts down. not sure if the two issues are related. was trying to figure out if any of the faults might be causing this problem. all the components (relays, genset box are new and everything is in good shape). a few things might be in play----it has low fuel, but definitely a few gallons and i dont hear any primer pump in prime position ( the aux pump runs great). not sure if it even has electrical pump or just the mechanical when cranking.

thanks
dean

Ray70

Are you kind of low on fuel in the tank, or is the machine have a"low fuel" warning on? Sounds like you have other electrical control issues going on, but low fuel warning will also shut you down ( on the smaller machines at least )

dbjra

i disconnected the low fuel 4 pin molex connector and shorted 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 and it cranked normal without having to engage the starter solenoid. low fuel warning must deactivate the starting---now that's done---does anyone know someone in the Raleigh NC area that works on these things? i told the airport here that i would take a look at it as a favor and my favor is done! I don't know enough about units to efficiently troubleshoot it. most components in unit look new or overhauled. shows low voltage
thanks
dean

Guyfang

Staff member
Hi anyone
i am new to forum and hope to get help troubleshooting mep806A 60kw generator. i got unit to start and run as long as i hold the start switch on. the starter doesnt keep starting because i had to manually close the contacts on the starter solenoid. once it fires up, of course i release starter contacts. unit runs only if i hold starter switch on. once i release switch, the unit shuts down. not sure if the two issues are related. was trying to figure out if any of the faults might be causing this problem. all the components (relays, genset box are new and everything is in good shape). a few things might be in play----it has low fuel, but definitely a few gallons and i dont hear any primer pump in prime position ( the aux pump runs great). not sure if it even has electrical pump or just the mechanical when cranking.

thanks
dean
When you and Chris get started on the set, keep in mind that you will hear no electrical fuel pump, because there is none. Just Aux pump. If you are manually closing the contacts on the starter solenoid, that means you can not get the engine to turn over with the S1? Your description is a little unclear. If the fuel tank is empty, or you have a bad FL1 circuit, the engine will not turn over with the S1. Can you use the S10 to turn over the engine? If so, then hot wire it to run, (do the gauges, volts/freq come up?) then flip the S7 up, before letting the S1(?) go. An idiot light might come on. If so, it points to where you need to start looking.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Are you kind of low on fuel in the tank, or is the machine have a"low fuel" warning on? Sounds like you have other electrical control issues going on, but low fuel warning will also shut you down ( on the smaller machines at least )
Correct. Low fuel will not allow you to start the engine.

dbjra

thanks everyone---i disconnected the float switch module plug and put jumper on it and everything seemed to work as it should. i am going to take the FL1 float switch out and test it. hopefully that will be the issue. on a second note, Chris if you read this, please tell me how i can get in touch with you----my email is dbelk@precisiontek.net

dbjra

called the company that made float switch and they sent me print of probe so i could test---works fine, so i must be below level of fuel for bottom float to make contact...next question : there is a small fuel leak on drain fitting out side of tank---how in the world do you get your hand on fitting between wheel well and side of enclosure to change the rubber grommet seal? ( trailer unit )

Guyfang

Staff member
called the company that made float switch and they sent me print of probe so i could test---works fine, so i must be below level of fuel for bottom float to make contact...next question : there is a small fuel leak on drain fitting out side of tank---how in the world do you get your hand on fitting between wheel well and side of enclosure to change the rubber grommet seal? ( trailer unit )
Perhaps you need top look at the TM's. There is a test procedure in the -24 TM, for the fuel level switch. If you have the switch out of the set right now, hook up the plug to it. Have someone hold the float up, and see if the set starts, (turns over) with the S1. If so, then the problem is no fuel in the set.

There are some threads here in the forum, that describe how to change the Well nuts. There is also information on a "better well nut". I would suggest removing the set from the trailer. What is the model number of the PU or PP generator/trailer setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks