• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smaller Steering Wheel

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible, perhaps feasible is a better term, to put a smaller diameter steering wheel on a 939 series 5 ton truck?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes. It is a 36 spline 7/8" diameter. Lots of tractor steering wheels are that size

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question would be why they are pretty small to begin with
I believe the answer to that was, "so they can still drive with handcuffs on". But that was way before political correctness...

74M35A2

I can totally see this, actually. The wheel diameter looks like a carry-over from the non-power steering days.

That’s a picture I snapped of Simp the last time he was up in Michigan, on our way to the Yacht Club for lunch.

snowtrac nome

all the 900 5 tons I drove had a lot smaller wheel than the old duce. what you should ask your self is how do you plan to control it in the event of a ps failure you would be hard pressed to steer it with a 20 inch wheel a smaller 15 inch wheel I would think It would be impossible.

dmetalmiki

Try to mount the seat further back.
And, Perhaps like I have on all my trucks, Lift up (re-drill and re-fit) the steering wheel mounting at the dash a little higher up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks