• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the differences between an mep 005, 805a & 805B

Philratcliffe

I just bought a mep 005 with a 14,000 gallon a day desalination system.
I want to buy a second 30kw genset. I dislike the oil filter housing set up on the 002s I have and now the 005, so I’m looking at the 805 A and B.
i will be using two 120 leads and a neutral to power my island hotel with 220 ac units and will use the third 120 leg and a nuestras to power my house and a number of small bungalows with 5k btu ac units. My concern is the more advanced 805b May not like uneven loads on the three 120 leads.
I’m wondering what some of your electricians think as far as which unit will better suit my needs and be the easiest unit to maintain.
I plan to wire up my 005 as a back up for when my other big genset is down for maint or repairs. What are the major differences between the 805 A and B? So I’m looking at a White non turbo six cylinder vs a John Deere turbo 4 cyl in the 805s and a 90s genset vs a 2005. I’m wondering about parts availability for the two engines and how difficult repairs are vs the new vs older systems as I’m in Colombia a just finding an electrician that can read schematics is almost impossible lol. Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

Guyfang

Staff member
I just bought a mep 005 with a 14,000 gallon a day desalination system. (ROPUU)
I want to buy a second 30kw genset. Buying like gen sets, promotes parts interchangeability. I dislike the oil filter housing set up on the 002s I have and now the 005, so I’m looking at the 805 A and B.
i will be using two 120 leads and a neutral to power my island hotel with 220 ac units and will use the third 120 leg and a nuestras to power my house and a number of small bungalows with 5k btu ac units. My concern is the more advanced 805b May not like uneven loads on the three 120 leads. I don't think the TQG's, (805A and 805B) will have a problem, any more the the MEP's, (005).
I’m wondering what some of your electricians think as far as which unit will better suit my needs and be the easiest unit to maintain. Simple is the MEP's. Much simpler then the TQG's, and some of the parts in a TQG 805, A or B, are REAL pricey. Then there is maintaining. Are you up to that? Or is someone else going to do that?
I plan to wire up my 005 as a back up for when my other big genset is down for maint or repairs. What are the major differences between the 805 A and B? The engine. That's more or less the big difference. So I’m looking at a White non turbo six cylinder vs a John Deere turbo 4 cyl in the 805s and a 90s You are not even close here. more like a 70's gen set genset vs a 2005. I’m wondering about parts availability for the two engines and how difficult repairs are vs the new vs older systems as I’m in Colombia a just finding an electrician that can read schematics is almost impossible lol. Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

Philratcliffe

I’m ok doing the maint and repairs. My big concern is parts availability on the 005s.
There are John Deere dealers everywhere for when I need parts and it’s a 4 cyl so less spare injectors etc to keep on hand.
Which engine do you think would be less likely to wetstack? It’s for my island hotel which I am constantly building and adding more rooms with ac so it might be a while before I can load it mora than 35%. Thx for the information!

Guyfang

Staff member
Most faults with these TQG's are not engine faults. They are electrical faults. GD will not be able to help you with that.

would not matter what engine you use. Wet stacking is wet stacking. If you can't load the set down with your hotel, get a load bank.

like I said before. If you are going to have two of the same SIZE gen sets, make sure the are the same TYPE gen sets. Save you much money and headaches.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
I would offer you find another 005 ? Reason, the 005 Generator output is 12 lead and can very safely wired for 120/240 operation unless your in love with the idea you presented and knowing your best line to line voltage will cap out around 212-215 but not 240 unless you can accept the line to neutral voltage being 130 plus closer to 136 .. you can use the Sq root of 3 {1.732} of your line to line voltage to get a very good estimate of your line to neutral voltage.
The later 805 series generators only brought out 10 leads and its pretty hard to get inside the end of the generator proper and break out the #10-11-and 12 winding's and make them separate again, it can be done but is what i'd call an extrema effort then you still need to isolate and insulate those wires.
Extrema ?? to take off the end bell do all the work and then run a high risk of keeping it all isolated. OR buck/boost transformers, but again a PIA imv
One user here gives a very good treatise on a U-tube video when you get serious on making it single phase 120/240
good luck mac/mc

Philratcliffe

I would offer you find another 005 ? Reason, the 005 Generator output is 12 lead and can very safely wired for 120/240 operation unless your in love with the idea you presented and knowing your best line to line voltage will cap out around 212-215 but not 240 unless you can accept the line to neutral voltage being 130 plus closer to 136 .. you can use the Sq root of 3 {1.732} of your line to line voltage to get a very good estimate of your line to neutral voltage.
The later 805 series generators only brought out 10 leads and its pretty hard to get inside the end of the generator proper and break out the #10-11-and 12 winding's and make them separate again, it can be done but is what i'd call an extrema effort then you still need to isolate and insulate those wires.
Extrema ?? to take off the end bell do all the work and then run a high risk of keeping it all isolated. OR buck/boost transformers, but again a PIA imv
One user here gives a very good treatise on a U-tube video when you get serious on making it single phase 120/240
good luck mac/mc
im not an electrician so don’t want to get into something that could damage the unit. I will be running this 13 hours a night year round. I just bought a rowpu desal system that is powered by an 005. I figured it would be a lot easier to get parts for the John Deere powered unit and I hate the cartridge style oil filters, does any one know if it uses the same fuel and oil filters as the 002/003? I just boat an oil filter conversion for one of the three 002s I have so I can go to a screw on filter.

If the 005 is rewired for 120/240 will I be able to use all its power 30kw. Or just 2/3??? That was my biggest concern.

I need a second 30/35kw machine for back up and while the other unit is down for service or repairs. The 005s are cheaper to buy but due to being in colombia it costs three time what the generator does to ship down.. which engine do you think will live longer and and be easiest to maintain a six cyl non turbo or a four cyl turbo?
I want to have extra injectors and common spares so I can have them out of service the least amount of time possible. So looking at all the angles

Thanks so much for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks