• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible source for dual use M151 parts

Maple Leaf Eh

From another forum, its has been claimed that the M151 family engines were made by White as Hercules G1600 series. Furthermore, Caterpillar put a private label on their version, calling it at CTCAT 1404. It was installed in their forklifts and towmotors. The difference apparently is the head is not the same on the Cat.

Although there are plenty of NOS parts in circulation, sometimes things just aren't or won't be available..

Here's one on identification https://www.foleyengines.com/tech-t...1eZop1FSDzi6YuAU5Pq_6JTT1CaNPzm-pZviTcXMGInik

and this is the illustrated parts manual.https://www.wincogen.com/wp-content...t2G1p8PeS6Wlw6naQspwfy1t527s5HkchFwllw3g8QH2A

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone verified the info? I saw one person claimed it out of the blue, and in all the years M151s have been around, no one else has discovered it

Maple Leaf Eh

I am only passing along likely correct information, which due to snow accumulation, cold and "stuff" in the way cannot be immediately verified. We just had a foot of new snow yesterday, and the snow shelter is further from the doors and driveway and therefore a lower shovelling priority.

But .... I note a few of the similarities. First the warranty date on the illustrated parts list is 1978. My Canadian M151A2 is a 1974 delivery. So the printed date is not far off the production run. Secondly, there is that sheet metal push rod cover plate on the side of the block. That seems distinctive enough to be noted. To my eye, the most important identifier I find in the manual is the overlapping intake and exhaust manifolds. Just a bit too coincidental, although I have to admit there are only so many places to put the manifolds and this could be grasping at straws.

Speaking of coincidences, Caterpillar reportedly labelled this engine a CTCAT 1404 for forklifts. My 151A2 happens to have a few yellow Cat' fasteners and a Cat' factory remanufactured generator. Perhaps a PO was also a Cat' mechanic or someone who recognized the similarities? I've asked the last owner but he has not responded.

Finally, why hasn't anyone else picked up on the similarities? Dunno. I do know that every reference says the engine is a Ford, but nothing Ford made seems anywhere close in displacement during that time period.

snowtrac nome

I work on the cat / huculees engines I also have a m151 engine some one shoehorned into a snow trac, yes on the lower end they are he same. I haven't looked closely at the heads but the carb and exhaust is different. and the industrial engines have a velocity governor below the carb. The industrial engines also have a different ignition system which are 12 volt and not waterproof. if one was in a pinch and needed to do a 12 volt conversion all the stuff for the engine would be available to do it through total source, but the m151 uses a different starter I don't know how one would get around that

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks