• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831A Battery Charger

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have a defective MEP-831A battery charger available?
I need one I can partly disassemble to do some reverse engineering.
I'd pay for shipping.
If it's fixable I'll repair it and return it to you.
(Posting here instead of classifieds since no one would likely look in the parts wanted section to sell a defective one)

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like there are the rounded corner version and a square corner version.
I have a good one I'm working with now. I don't want to do any further dis-assembly of it and risk damaging it.
Thank you for the offer. I'll hold out for a while and hope to get a defective one.

avenger

The Battery Charger from my mep 831a Burn down an kill a Resistor.
Has got somebody the electrical resistance value.

IMG_3340.jpg

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That part is a 0.01 ohm 2 watt 1% resistor made by Ohmite. It's the current sense resistor in the charger.
Part number 12FR010E. Can be purchased from several electronic supply houses for ~$3.15 US
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ohmite/12FR010E/12FR010E-ND/822889
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ohmite/12FR010E?qs=xI6jRGneEnB8KXlAgk8WIw==
https://www.newark.com/ohmite/12fr010e/current-sense-resistor-0-01-ohm/dp/64K7857?CMP=AFC-ECIA

If that resistor smoked there may be other damage to the charger.
It's possible the contacts in the relay have welded together and won't open which would cause your battery to discharge when the set isn't running.

Last edited:

avenger

Thank`s for the fast Help.
I change the resistor and the tree elkos and now it works !!!
Gruß aus West Germany Felix

IMG_3541.jpg

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent! Thank you for getting back and letting everyone know.

For those reading:
elkos = electrolytic capacitor
Gruß = greetings or salutations

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update....
I received a charger from a S.S. member so that I could complete the reverse engineering.
Done. :grin:
Prototype charger using the same parts and circuit as the original works as expected.
Printed Circuit Boards designed and being fabricated now.
Rev A PCB.JPG
My plan is to be able to offer assembled, tested replacement boards to drop into dead MEP-831A battery charger housings.
Will include bridge rectifier, diode and transistor located between the PCB and the metal base of the charger housing.
Will post updates and pictures of the new boards once received and populated.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, but does it make my teenagers complain any less? Thats where the real value prop is...

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now when are you going to work on some older stuff...
Guy,
Presently I only have 831's and an 802 in my possession that I can use to develop products.
If I get my hands on or easy access to other generator models I could tackle some of those items.
Could you PM me a list of replacement PN's that are in high demand?

Guyfang

Staff member
I will sit down and think about what would fit that criteria. One of the nice things about the old sets was that the -34 manual normally had test and repair procedures. And the -24P had part numbers. And, its old tech. Simpler.

Chainbreaker

There are a lot of MEP-002a/-003a's out there in service that NEVER run in 3 phase mode. A modern somewhat plug-n-play module to replace/eliminate the AC distribution box internals (except for retaining the output lugs) with an intelligent controller with DIGITAL gauges and options for autostart, etc. would be a VERY attractive retrofit. If done right it would greatly improve reliability (eliminate failing transformers, problematic reconnection switches, failure prone HZ gauge, Volts gauge, etc. and offer much better utility by using digital technology.

SS member "Rusty Stud" did something similar using a modern commercially off the shelf controller. However, if I recall correctly, the changeover took him a quite a while to work out and he knew what he was doing. In other words, it was not a kit that the average MEP-002a/-003a owner could install by following instructions.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got an 002 local to you Kurt that has an inop hertz gauge, amongst other issues this series is prone to if you are interested in borrowing it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks