• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulled the trigger on a M923- what next?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just purchased a 1984 M923 that went through Red River Depot refurb on 9/10. 1100 miles on odometer, no rust spots, and seems to start and run okay around the parking. I didn't take it on the highway for full run but it seemed tight.

It has good 11.00R20's so will be on the lookout for super singles in the near future (central Texas). Other than checking fluids before driving it home 15 miles for a complete look over, what should I do? I plan to replace the oil and filter and any bad hoses/belts..but anything else critical before I can drive a 100 miles to our ranch without fear of breakdown? I'll get pics as soon as I can!

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading around the forum a bit, looks like I need to invest in a good lug nut wrench and keep it in the truck. I’ll also break loose the nuts at our shop and retighten before I head out. Sounds like there have been painful tales of folks not able to get nuts loose out in the yonder...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It's a red river rebuild with a NHC250. Better drop the pan and tighten the rod bolts as well.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a red river rebuild with a NHC250. Better drop the pan and tighten the rod bolts as well.
I figured it would be a fairly tight truck so recently out of rebuild but now I’m a bit worried about it. What’s the story behind these rebuilds and the rods?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I figured it would be a fairly tight truck so recently out of rebuild but now I’m a bit worried about it. What’s the story behind these rebuilds and the rods?
RRAD is an IROAN Site. Inspect. Replace only as needed. Some got motors that were being sabotaged. Wrist pins left loose. Rod caps left loose. Other crap. They would blow the motor with a load put on them. Or tap abnormally. Not all got engines. Some did. The A2 trucks from RRAD were the better ones. Had atleast one that didnt have any oil in it and the oil cooler petcock was left wide open.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On any truck with air brakes I like to make sure I have all brake chamber cage bolts and they are in good shape. Myself I clean them up and carry them in the truck.

Ajax MD

LOL...you guys are gonna give this guy the heebie jeebies. He'll never trust this truck!
I get it though, good information to have. Could save big problems down the road.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL...you guys are gonna give this guy the heebie jeebies.
Lol- kinda true but I get it. I need to learn the ins and outs of these trucks so I’m prepared. I’m not a fan of learning in the emergency situation...

I wanted the NHC250 so I can have bragging rights for a big chunk of old school iron. Hope that doesn’t turn into a painful lesson.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RRAD is an IROAN Site. Inspect. Replace only as needed. Some got motors that were being sabotaged. Wrist pins left loose. Rod caps left loose. Other crap. They would blow the motor with a load put on them. Or tap abnormally. Not all got engines. Some did. The A2 trucks from RRAD were the better ones. Had atleast one that didnt have any oil in it and the oil cooler petcock was left wide open.
ok- I’ll bite. Why would trucks be sabatoged by RRAD?

Ajax MD

Lol- kinda true but I get it. I need to learn the ins and outs of these trucks so I’m prepared. I’m not a fan of learning in the emergency situation...

I wanted the NHC250 so I can have bragging rights for a big chunk of old school iron. Hope that doesn’t turn into a painful lesson.
I think you'll be ok. Just don't take those rebuild tags as gospel that everything is A-OK.

I'm semi-new to diesels and very new to "big truck" diesels. To me, the NHC 250 is really interesting. I've been vacuuming up Youtube videos and articles about it and I'm still just scratching the surface.
Although obsolete, it seems simple and very durable, especially as de-tuned by the military so that idiots like me can't hurt it very easily.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck is home!!! Got to auction lot and noticed a knucklehead left the batteries on and killed them so had to run jumper cables from my car and my dad’s truck to juice them up while we changed the right rear outer tire. I guess if all tires to swap that was the easiest. All lugs broke free with a three foot breaker bar and a good step up from me. I weigh 240 so at three feet it was around 4-500ft lbs to break them free. Thimbles were rust free and still had the shiny cadmium plating. Torsion bars were good, no drips, all fluids topped, and hardware looked okay. After a couple hours of charging, the truck fired up within a second of cranking- I was so happy!!! Pressure built up within a couple mins and I was off with dad following me with his hazards on. Got on the road and she got up to 45-50 without issue. Shifted solid and brakes were solid too (tested them on the access road before getting on msin). Mild shaking due to road but not bad. Some smoke behind the cab at first so expect a mild exhaust leak. Once up to temp, little smoke. Other than the steering wheel crumbling and ac not working (ha!), truck is good.

Overall, very pleased I joined the MV club!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks