• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-501 Conversion & Modified Fuel System

rustystud

Well I finally got tired of my MEP-501 and decided to convert it to 240 Volts AC, (2KW) . Making it a MEP-531 basically.
I also changed out the fuel system. I don't know about all you guys out there running the small Yanmar engines, but every time I replace the fuel filter it is a pain in the butt to get the machine to run again due to air in the lines.
So I installed a 24 volt Faucet pump along with new "PTFE stainless steel" lines.
Now I just hit the start button and BAM ! She's up and running. There is also only two rubber lines to worry about now. All the rest are PTFE stainless. I installed a switch valve so I can use either the small factory tank or get fuel from my large tank which will be mounted in my M105 trailer later for the "Great Alaskan Adventure" . The switch right now doesn't handle the return fuel, but a 6 port switch is on order.

001.jpg002.jpg023 (2).jpg027.jpg024 (2).jpg031.jpg

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work. One of these days I'll finally get around to the genhead swap on the BAPU.

rustystud

Well I found out why my MEP-501 was being such a little ass all the time I owned it. There was some loose wires from the engine side in the electrical panel. I just "assumed" it was a fuel problem all along. Turns out the crimps where not holding and the wires where coming out, even though they used heat shrink tube on them.
This is why I am such an out spoken advocate for "soldering" the connectors. After I finish converting the electrical panel, I will go and solder all the connections. I have never had a problem after soldering a connection on a vehicle or anything else.
Here was one of the worst offenders. I re-crimped it for now.
002.jpg

What is so annoying is I would never had found this problem unless I had taken the wire loom apart. It was buried under the other wires and wire-tied together.
Remember this was a "factory" crimp too ! A crimp made with the "proper" tool, and it still failed.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I like what you did with the fuel lines. Great idea.

When I did this, I had a problem with the generator not matching up quite like it should have on the crank shaft & had the machine a little bit off the mounting plate. What generator head did you use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks