• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crankshaft Pulley

sandcobra164

I picked up a M1045A2 for a member on here. Installed batteries, got it running but 30 minutes later the crankshaft pulley decided it was no longer part of the team. It is an 8 rib drive pulley on a serpentine accessory drive. Is this a HMMWV specific part or can I go to NAPA and provide a part number that one of you fine members will provide? I saw one on ***Pay for $198.00 but I think there has to be a civilian equivalent for cheaper. The harmonic balancer is fine, just need the pulley and drive flange as they have seperated.

sandcobra164

Part Number is 12460262, NSN 3020-01-442-7485. The civilian equivalent will not work because it only has 6 grooves instead of the 8 on a HMMWV with a serpentine belt accessory drive.

sandcobra164

Negative, it was idling. First start in who knows how many years, I just towed this truck home from auction. I would caution at this point that everyone check theirs for piece of mind.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a picture showing how it came apart? Is it possible to weld it back together?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a picture showing how it came apart? Is it possible to weld it back together?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
The pulley is rubber isolated...this is a wear item requiring replacement, same as a crank harmonic balancer.
it is in no ones best interest to try and repair it...

sandcobra164

In the pictures you can see the rubber still attached to the hub / flange assembly. The pulley unbonded from the rubber over the course of time. Sarge will keep him company until he's fixed and his owner sends transport for him.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Gimp, you make a great point along with RetiredWarHorses. I'll advise the owner and hopefully proceed with installing a new balancer and crank pulley. I now know the pulley is HMMWV specific, is the balancer HMMWV specific as well? I want to make sure I provide the correct solutions to the problem and send this thing to Tennessee in good shape. If it were mine I know I'd replace both, hopefully the owner agrees.

Keith_J

See if these folks can rebuild it: https://damperdoctor.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

This is just a secondary damper to protect the accessories driven off the serpentine belt. Excessive torsional acceleration causes serpentine belt tension to oscillate which reduces accessory bearing life. Even with auto tension serpentine belts, especially on diesels as the pistons come to a crashing halt due to high compression and when the cylinder fires, that knocking is a sudden crank acceleration.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if these folks can rebuild it: https://damperdoctor.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

This is just a secondary damper to protect the accessories driven off the serpentine belt. Excessive torsional acceleration causes serpentine belt tension to oscillate which reduces accessory bearing life. Even with auto tension serpentine belts, especially on diesels as the pistons come to a crashing halt due to high compression and when the cylinder fires, that knocking is a sudden crank acceleration.
Why? A new HB is under $150 or so...

sandcobra164

Pictures attached from what came off including a piece it back together picture. This part has failed, the civilian market replaces it with a solid billet pulley without the rubber "dampener" ring. The idea behind the rubber ring is to dampen the shock created by the diesel combustion event which extends the life of accessory components driven by the crank pulley.

Attachments

sandcobra164

86 hmmwv,
Sir, no need to look. The owner of the truck purchased one on an online auction site and sent it to me. The truck is repaired now. I posted the pictures to help with the discussion of "can it be rebuilt". One side offered up a vendor that could possibly repair it and the other side stated it is a wear item that should be replaced with new. I have no dog in the fight as I don't own a HMMWV. I just have one out here that I picked up for a fellow SS Member that needed some work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks