• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3L Cummins from an excavator

dilligaf13

I'm looking at a 8.3L Cummins that supposedly came out of an excavator. What if any difference is there between this 8.3L Cummins and the ones in the M939A2? I'm looking at the subpar pictures the guy has and best I can tell they're similar...

If the motors aren't identical what would it take to drop it into a M939A2?

Thanks

74M35A2

Not enough info given to answer your question. Pics of the engine and description of what remains in/of the truck would help.

74M35A2

OK. That’s an EFI engine, known as an ISC if 8.3L. They start and run great, and are self contained. I am preparing to do the same. Was the excavator 24 volt? Likely. ECM on it is selectable between 12v and 24v. Electric lift pump on it would need to be switched to 24v if it is 12v, or run the entire engine on 12v. Same with intake grid heater if it has one. Easy to do either way.

Fan drive is missing, those are not cheap. That engine will need a front mounted charge air cooler. If you are putting it in front of a stock M939 auto trans, those are somewhat unique engine flywheel housings, you’d need one of those if the truck does not have it.

Otherwise, just need an electronic throttle pedal, one from a Cummins Dodge Ram works. Just power and ground and she’ll run.

That is a 4 valve engine, so you can put factory Jake brakes on it. I did on mine, but engine not in truck yet.

That turbo will have to be spun 180 degrees so exhaust faces rear, then just re-clock the compressor housing.

The M939xx engine mounts offset the motor heavily to the pass side, just FYI. Oil pan has large recess for front prop shaft. But the base mil 8.3L one fits the newer engine.

My M925a2 8.3L engine is for sale if you want exactly the engine that came out of that truck. The EFI engines are cheaper to buy, I think people are scared of of a few wires. It is really just power, ground, and the accel pedal wires.

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Sounds relatively easy, if you're just dropping it in a donor truck. I don't need an engine right now or I'd just jump on yours, this is just a spare/back up or I may sell it later. What's the ballpark price on a newly re-built one of these??

Thanks

74M35A2

Lots of choices @ $5k, mine is less. How much are they asking for that engine, and can they demo it to run before purchase?

74M35A2

How much are they asking for the engine? Don’t be one-sided and just take. Nobody’s going to steal it from you. I already have one homeless one. Ha!

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it came out of an off road piece of machinery, most likely 24vdc. The cal will need changing to an automotive type because the cal in is set at variable speed, it will drive like a CAT powered truck, you can try it like that though. IIRC, FW hsg from a mechanical 8.3 will swap over to the ISC, That is a good engine. it has a bosch pump, not the CAPS pos. No aftertreatment either....well, some had cats but those were mostly on road stuff. If I were to have a motorhome, the mechanical 8.3, 1995-6 year model or that engine, 2004-6 ISC would be my choice

74M35A2

I’d like to have one, maybe 8.9L version, hooked to a 13 speed Roadranger, with Jakes and a polished turbo compressor housing. That be fly.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy who has just that set up, want his number? He might want to off the set up 'cause it's taking up too much dead space in the garage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks