• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering vehicle markings

warcow105

Quick question, what's the best way to remove all the black spray paint to recover the original markings? I know acetone will strip it, but will it also strip the markings? And if I do restore it, what are the legalities of driving with the markings?

Thanks,
Mike

diesel583

I wet sand by hand with 800 grit. Been driving my truck for 10 years with original markings and nobody has said anything, but that's in Oklahoma. Your results may vary

DREDnot

I use fine sand paper, red scotchbrite, steel wool, acetone. Slowly work the layers away. the acetone just cleans away the sanding dust.

DSCN5840.jpg

DSCN7294.jpg

DSCN7800.jpg

DSCN1908.jpg

Amer-team

I use 4-0 steel wool, sometimes water for lube and sometimes lacquer thinner. But I like the carb cleaner idea. Hadn't heard that one before.

Wire Fox

I never knew carb cleaner can strip paint, I will try that as well. Are the markings painted on with carc as well?

Mike
I think this all depends on the unit that does it...if it's done right, it's CARC. If it was quick and dirty, it's a convenient rattle can. In every surplus vehicle I've seen, the marking have always been obscured​ by simple rattle can, but I have no idea what is common for the actual markings.

Keith_J

A mixture of xylene and paint thinner, increasing the xylene until it cuts the obliterating rattle can spray. The required strength varies with the time the rattle can has been on.

Unit markings are almost always done with rattle can. But it has been done thick and had plenty of time to cure so it is more durable to the xylene-paint thinner solvent.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bobert

I think this all depends on the unit that does it...if it's done right, it's CARC. If it was quick and dirty, it's a convenient rattle can. In every surplus vehicle I've seen, the marking have always been obscured​ by simple rattle can, but I have no idea what is common for the actual markings.
I never knew carb cleaner can strip paint, I will try that as well. Are the markings painted on with carc as well?

Mike
Thats true, I've only used carb cleaner on the cheap spray paint they hose over the markings.

I discovered carb cleaner softens paint by accident.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks