• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting to 2 batteries only

deleted user 89485

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my conversion to a 24v only alternator and using a 100 amp 24-12 converter I have found I need room in the battery box for the converter. I am running 4 6TL batteries now. Do you guys think that just having 2 6TLs in series will be enough amperage for the starter?

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread, but I didn't find good info when I went to 2. I have 2 6tl flooded and they are not enough to start my truck-2007 A1R, with functioning ether, -12F.
I will either be upgrading to 4 batteries or maybe AGM versions for more cranking amps.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aaaaaannnnndddd - now you see why I run four 6TAGM's.

Two batteries work in a *perfect* world. They even work in a slightly imperfect world. They are better for the wimpy 100A alternator - no question. And two AGM's are better than 2 flooded cells. But if you lose a battery - it goes short circuit or something horrific happens and a terminal melts off it or it gets punctured, the alternator goes rogue and boils one before it catches fire (Yes I have seen all of these hypothetical scenarios as a mechanic of many years) - you no longer have the option to drop to two batteries from that position. Throw in a random voltage draw that crops up, something left on that shouldn't have been...... the possibilities are endless. This is why the nuclear power industry no longer considers 3-way redundancy to even be sufficient. The gold standard is now 5-way redundancy.

Four 6TAGM's are overkill. Till you are in the arctic and one of them dies. Then you still have a chance to reconfigure to two. You lose one of two batteries and now you have only 12v. That's definitely not going to get you moving.

It's a contingency thing for me. And an unwillingness to drop to two just because it's easier or cheaper or I gain space for some other component, etc. I'm stubborn like I guess.

Last edited:

Ronmar

Old thread, but I didn't find good info when I went to 2. I have 2 6tl flooded and they are not enough to start my truck-2007 A1R, with functioning ether, -12F.
I will either be upgrading to 4 batteries or maybe AGM versions for more cranking amps.
They should have been… what was the state of charge,? how old are they? Did they drop equally in voltage while cranking?

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aaaaaannnnndddd - now you see why I run four 6TAGM's.

Two batteries work in a *perfect* world. They even work in a slightly imperfect world. They are better for the wimpy 100A alternator - no question. And two AGM's are better than 2 flooded cells. But if you lose a battery - it goes short circuit or something horrific happens and a terminal melts off it or it gets punctured, the alternator goes rogue and boils one before it catches fire (Yes I have seen all of these hypothetical scenarios as a mechanic of many years) - you no longer have the option to drop to two batteries from that position. Throw in a random voltage draw that crops up, something left on that shouldn't have been...... the possibilities are endless. This is why the nuclear power industry no longer considers 3-way redundancy to even be sufficient. The gold standard is now 5-way redundancy.

Four 6TAGM's are overkill. Till you are in the arctic and one of them dies. Then you still have a chance to reconfigure to two. You lose one of two batteries and now you have only 12v. That's definitely not going to get you moving.

It's a contingency thing for me. And an unwillingness to drop to two just because it's easier or cheaper or I gain space for some other component, etc. I'm stubborn like I guess.
Yeah,I'm beginning to think actic is a relative term and maybe my area qualifies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks