• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo NHC-250

jwj438

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope I’m not beating a dead horse but picked up a 5 ton and it came with all the parts to turbo it. I’m looking for info in if what I have will actually work. I know some guys say don’t do it. Others say you can’t polish a terd. My take is, the parts came with it. If it won’t hurt it. Why not have something unique.

So, I have a 1970 NHC-250 in great shape and have a HE551V turbo with the liquid cooled intake manifold and two turbo exhaust manifolds. My first question is can The is turbo be used with just a boost controled actuator on the variable geometry control. Will this hurt the turbo or engine at low load?

If this won’t hurt anything I’m looking at running an air to air intercooler (selling the air to liquid manifold) and only running 1800rpm max. And max 1100 F. EGT And of course lots of pump tuning. If this would not hurt anything I think I can make lots more torque. I don’t care about HP

Thoughts?

Bobbeddeuceswild

So about 8 months ago I installed a turbo on my 813. Took a little while to dial in and play with intake and exhaust routing but I got it figured out.

I’m trying to figure out how you could use the vgt turbo and have it work good for you.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just crimp the hose off with a zip tie. Would be better off with a cheap HT3B turbo or 4LHR. It's simple.

Bobbeddeuceswild

I’m using a small cam 290 intake manifold, a 855 pulse exhaust manifold, 4LHR turbo, 350hp injectors, 5 inch exhaust, and played with the injection timing a little. I can hit 20 lbs I’d boost all day long. Doesn’t smoke at all.

sandcobra164

Adding a turbocharger to a non-turbocharged diesel is no big deal and you already have the correct manifold and turbo. You just need an oil supply and drain line. Once you sort that out you will be miles ahead. In my personal experience, my NHC-250 pulls the gears just fine even when towing a heavy load. Greatest to date is 26,000 pound towed load and I was still able to roll at 65 mph. It's gotten better since I installed a "dual fuel line" setup. Some people will tell you that you'll melt the engine once you install a turbo. As long as you don't touch the injection pump, no worries. If you do make adjustments to the injection pump, install a pre-turbo exhaust temperature gauge and keep it under 1,100 degrees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks