Thread: Turbo NHC-250

Private
    Thanks

Default Turbo NHC-250

Hope Iím not beating a dead horse but picked up a 5 ton and it came with all the parts to turbo it. Iím looking for info in if what I have will actually work. I know some guys say donít do it. Others say you canít polish a terd. My take is, the parts came with it. If it wonít hurt it. Why not have something unique.

So, I have a 1970 NHC-250 in great shape and have a HE551V turbo with the liquid cooled intake manifold and two turbo exhaust manifolds. My first question is can The is turbo be used with just a boost controled actuator on the variable geometry control. Will this hurt the turbo or engine at low load?

If this wonít hurt anything Iím looking at running an air to air intercooler (selling the air to liquid manifold) and only running 1800rpm max. And max 1100 F. EGT And of course lots of pump tuning. If this would not hurt anything I think I can make lots more torque. I donít care about HP

Thoughts?

Private
    Thanks

Clearification the VGT controller is non electronic. Just a spring / diaphragm actuator

Private
    Thanks

So about 8 months ago I installed a turbo on my 813. Took a little while to dial in and play with intake and exhaust routing but I got it figured out.

Iím trying to figure out how you could use the vgt turbo and have it work good for you.

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,738 Posts

Just crimp the hose off with a zip tie. Would be better off with a cheap HT3B turbo or 4LHR. It's simple.
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Private
    Thanks

I’m using a small cam 290 intake manifold, a 855 pulse exhaust manifold, 4LHR turbo, 350hp injectors, 5 inch exhaust, and played with the injection timing a little. I can hit 20 lbs I’d boost all day long. Doesn’t smoke at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,034 Posts

Adding a turbocharger to a non-turbocharged diesel is no big deal and you already have the correct manifold and turbo. You just need an oil supply and drain line. Once you sort that out you will be miles ahead. In my personal experience, my NHC-250 pulls the gears just fine even when towing a heavy load. Greatest to date is 26,000 pound towed load and I was still able to roll at 65 mph. It's gotten better since I installed a "dual fuel line" setup. Some people will tell you that you'll melt the engine once you install a turbo. As long as you don't touch the injection pump, no worries. If you do make adjustments to the injection pump, install a pre-turbo exhaust temperature gauge and keep it under 1,100 degrees.
    84 AM General M923 "General Non-Sense"
    85 Chevrolet M1028 CUCV "Sarge"
    05 Silver Eagle M1102 (Sarge's New 4 Wheeler Hauler)

Gone but not forgotten....
    71 AM General M35A2 "Big Trucks"
    87 Pribbs Manufacturing M105A2