• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make a m923a2 Quieter in the Cab

simpleisbetter

Like the title says, I am searching how to make it quieter inside the cab of a m923a2. Quiet enough so I can maybe have a conversation without using my extra loud outside voice haha. If there isn’t a good way then I may just install a comms system but I hate to do that just because it’s kind of bulky inside the not so roomy cabs

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I would start shopping for a comm system. I don’t think any amount of insulation, noise deadening material, etc... will be enough to overcome the exhaust stack right next to the cab, the roar of six big super-single tires, and the clattering/whistling Cummins on the other side of the firewall.

NormB

Okay awesome haha thank you for that. Do you know any decent comms system that doesn’t cost a huge amazing amount?
Look for Marvin's aviation comm system online. Great unit, I forget which model I bought. Often available through ePay, with a good headset you can save your hearing for future generations to damage with all their screaming around the house.

You can also plug your cellphone/iPod into some of these to listen to music.

162tcat

Like the title says, I am searching how to make it quieter inside the cab of a m923a2. Quiet enough so I can maybe have a conversation without using my extra loud outside voice haha. If there isn’t a good way then I may just install a comms system but I hate to do that just because it’s kind of bulky inside the not so roomy cabs
A2 is super quiet compared to an A1 or 809! I love driving my M923A2 after driving my M817 dump for a while. I wear ear plugs in the M817 and can hardly hear my own thoughts let along have any sort of conversation. In the M923A2 my daughter and I chat it up and listen to music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simpleisbetter

Okay you guys are great. Thank you. Looked up some on eBay and some are a couple hundred dollars per headset and some are pushing a thousand. I’d never spend a thousand per headset but I could stomach 400-500 for the whole system. Does anyone know the legality though of wearing a headset while driving?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can use foam board insulation on the bottom of the cab and spray it with Simmons rubber coated or another of your choice. You can also install the foam board on top of your carpet and then use the 4ftx6ft horse stall matting from tractor supply. It is 3/4" thick rubber and fiberglass it will deaden sound and keeps temps out.about a 10 degree difference

Since you do not have an engine dog house you can widespread the may. You can also get the dash insulation kit off ebay and add other materials as well. You can lizard skin or Simmons coat the inner cab area as well and add things like heat blankets to the rear engine area of the cab firewall.

Get a better muffler. Dynamax makes a quiet tone muffler that is nice sounding on take off and quiet at idle. If you think a A2 truck is loud then you should hear the 855 trucks. They are around 78 decibels at idle at 10ft away. My big cam is quiet at around 64 decibels at 10ft and 66 decibels while driving at 60mph.

Some ordinances and laws prevent drivers from wearing ear covering devices while driving. However in the event that the vehicle requires ear covers for safe operation. Such as our trucks. Cranes. Farm equipment. You can wear them due to the safety aspect.

dmetalmiki

My M54A2 has the bonnet (Hood) Completely lined underside with heavy duty fire proof insulation.
The floor and interior under the dash is lined with..heavy thick..LEAD! then carpeted with foam underlay.
The cab is also lined with heavy duty thick padding.
We can easily carry on conversing while driving. And listening to the radio.

Scrounger

I have never found the M939 series that loud in the cab, however the M39 and 800 series are a different matter. I have several pairs of Peltor Tactical 7 ear muffs. They get used when driving noisy trucks and whenever I’m around loud noises. They work well when running impact guns during tire work and what not. They reduce loud noises and amplify voices so when two people are wearing them one can carry on a normal conversation. And unlike a comm system they work not just in the cab, but anywhere.

Peltor Tactical 7.jpg

CMPPhil

Probably a State by State matter

Okay you guys are great. Thank you. Looked up some on eBay and some are a couple hundred dollars per headset and some are pushing a thousand. I’d never spend a thousand per headset but I could stomach 400-500 for the whole system. Does anyone know the legality though of wearing a headset while driving?
You ask a good question, one that probably doesn't have a simple answer. I've been driving my MVS wearing Vic-1 headset for 30+ years and have never been bothered about headset, lots of curiosity stops and occasional questions about them when I climb down from the cab with the headset and mic switch & it's harness on. Give them a simple answer truck is very load, headsets are noise cancelling design so you hear what are not truck sounds.

I never have ask them if there was an issue.

Cheers Phil

simpleisbetter

I have never found the M939 series that loud in the cab, however the M39 and 800 series are a different matter. I have several pairs of Peltor Tactical 7 ear muffs. They get used when driving noisy trucks and whenever I’m around loud noises. They work well when running impact guns during tire work and what not. They reduce loud noises and amplify voices so when two people are wearing them one can carry on a normal conversation. And unlike a comm system they work not just in the cab, but anywhere.

View attachment 756285
That’s really not a bad idea and definitely cheaper. How fast does it go through batteries though haha. I have just an am/fm hearing protective headphones for machinery and mowing the grass and I get maybe 12-16 hours out of a pair of AA batteries

simpleisbetter

You ask a good question, one that probably doesn't have a simple answer. I've been driving my MVS wearing Vic-1 headset for 30+ years and have never been bothered about headset, lots of curiosity stops and occasional questions about them when I climb down from the cab with the headset and mic switch & it's harness on. Give them a simple answer truck is very load, headsets are noise cancelling design so you hear what are not truck sounds.

I never have ask them if there was an issue.

Cheers Phil
Yeah the only reason I ask is because so know wearing headphones and earbuds while driving is illegal in Illinois but I see people do it all the time. I’d hope noise cancelling would be a different category just because the purpose is to amplify what isn’t engine noise.

Scrounger

That’s really not a bad idea and definitely cheaper. How fast does it go through batteries though haha. I have just an am/fm hearing protective headphones for machinery and mowing the grass and I get maybe 12-16 hours out of a pair of AA batteries
The Peltors that I have use 9-volt batteries. When used on the range I probably get about two weeks on a battery, and that’s ten plus hour days. The batteries die from old age when used around the trucks.

Scrounger

Yeah the only reason I ask is because so know wearing headphones and earbuds while driving is illegal in Illinois but I see people do it all the time. I’d hope noise cancelling would be a different category just because the purpose is to amplify what isn’t engine noise.

For what it is worth. Hearing protection, i.e. ear muffs, were part of the BII of the trucks when in service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks