• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Weight

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've looked around on the site for this but came up empty using the search button.

I took my M1031 to a scale today and it weighted in at 6600 lbs with a full fuel tank.

The generator was between 280 - 300 lbs.

Keith_J

Sounds about right. Mine is 8400 pounds but I have tools in every bin. Plus oxy acetylene, argon and the GTAW/SMAW welder. PTO generator with Champion air compressor stock.

The cab and chassis weight is 5200 pounds.

Keith_J

It looks like the data tag shows #7300 for shipping weight.

https://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1031.php

That is for the M-880 which was the Dodge with Dana 44 front axle, Wisconsin engine powered Hobart 200 amp welder-generator, single phase compressor and 318 gas V8.

The M1031 SECM body was made by Able Body Company with a 9000 pound GVW. Shipping weight? 22 metric tons. Why? Because that is the displacement in cubic feet (878) based on water weight at 64 pounds per cubic foot.

The contract for the ABC SECM weight was based on the M1008, when the 1031 was finalized, it was given the HD load at 9200 pounds, hence the variation between the body and the chassis. The 1031 contract was expanded as the minus bed was a discount from GM so more chassis were bought than needed. Excess were converted to 1028s

Some early 1031 SECMs were made with salvaged M880 bodies with a small fuel tank added for the Wisconsin engine.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks