• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me WC63

Wolfen

I just bought a WC63. No pictures yet. I will post pictures when I get it home. Hopefully this weekend. First order business is rebuilding the carb so the engine will keep running. Then brakes and of course a complete fluid change and mounting a couple of new tires. No canvas, but it does have the bows. I am in the process of ordering canvas for it. It does have the jump seat and a gun ring.:D:D:D

dmetalmiki

Lovely, And a great project and acquisition.
(I will 'race you to the finish') See previous post above, With my soon to be rescued 'Bitsa' M715.

Wolfen

The biggest problem will be time followed by money to get this up and running. I was told, that it last ran about 1 year a go. I need to rebuild the carb and go through the brakes. I have already committed to buying the canvas top for it. I still need to find a source for the canvas doors that I have seen in pictures. Apparently, they were not issue items but post-war.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wolfen that 63 looks beautiful, I have been so close on a couple of these but never took the leap. Please post you progress I would really like to see how this proceeds for you! CONGRATULATIONS!
Karl

Wolfen

Wolfen that 63 looks beautiful, I have been so close on a couple of these but never took the leap. Please post you progress I would really like to see how this proceeds for you! CONGRATULATIONS!
Karl
Thank you. I will keep things updated. The biggest issue, is going to be time.

Wolfen

If anybody is close enough to provide labor to help me restore this, I will provide lunch and soft drinks. I have a heated shop and plenty of tools. The shop also has its own bathroom. Does anyone know if you can use a gun ring with a Arctic cab on the open cab WC's? And does anyone have a source for the canvas doors for the open cab WC's? I've seen pictures, and have been told they were a post-war option.

waayfast

Congrats on the new Dodge project. Looks very complete and good shape-- a good start there.

You mention about doing a carb rebuild----------hhmmm-- two years ago I went to Montana and picked up a Chevy G506 1 1/2 ton truck. It had been sitting for about 10 years. I get it home and finally a year later I get time to tinker on it. Hooked up a clean 5 gallon can so as to eliminate the fuel tank crud possibilities. It would start but not stay running. Peed gas out the tube at the top of the carb.

Gave up and headed for town for a rebuild kit. Parts Guy tells me an old trick. Before putting out the money and time to rebuild the carb try using a small hammer to whack on the side of the carb. Use the wooden handle -NOT the steel head of the hammer so you don't break something. With fresh gas, it may unstick itself with a little gentle persuasion.

It stopped peeing fuel out the top tube and continued to run, idled great, runs good. Starts right up. No hesitation on acceleration.

It may be worth a try ----your mileage may vary.

fasttruck

Check Doyle's book on Dodge military trucks. Side doors may have been locally fabricated rather than an issue item.

Wolfen

Have not had much time to work on it, so very little progress. But I have been ordering parts for it from MIDWEST MILITARY. Hopefully I will get some time to work on it this coming weekend. I'll try and take some pictures this weekend and post them here. I have ordered the canvas for it and a new wiring harness from VINTAGE WIRING of MAINE.

Wolfen

Serial number

Beautiful truck, hard to believe it is that original!
Ran into a problem today with my WC63. Crawled underneath it with a wire brush and wire brushed the frame behind the drivers side front wheel. Could not find a serial number. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

diesel dave

Not sure what you mean by behind the front wheel,but if you are looking at the wheel from the side,it will be left of center.
sometimes the vin #is very faint,and can be covered with paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks