• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me WC63

waayfast

Hopefully I will have time after work today to take sandpaper to the area where the frame serial number is supposed to be.
In looking at the date ,I hope I'm not too late with a suggestion.

With the help and clear description given by my buddies back in Maryland, I located my frame number on the WLF. Had a good layer of paint and rust covering it up.
I thought about sand paper but decided on paint remover first, then naval jelly for the rust. This worked out better as the stamping in the frame metal is VERY lightly struck and had I used sandpaper I think I would have obliterated the stamping along with the rust and paint.

Once the local DMV folks finish the verification inspection, I will attempt to take a fine pointed tool (dental pick?) and clean and help define the numbers then prime and paint.
I did not want to attempt that before the inspection so as to not give the impression of tampering with the vin.

Your "63" is a fantastic project! Not only are the seats there- so is the upholstery!! Even the tires look good!

Jim

Wolfen

No new pictures, but progress is being made. Got the new carb installed and the engine running great. Removed the wheels and took them to LES SCHWAB to have the tires removed and had them send the wheels off to be x-rayed, sand blasted, and primed. I will spray paint them OD when I get them back. Replaced the wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Almost finished bleeding the brakes. Dropped the fuel tank skid plate so the rubber hose to the tank could be replaced. I was told that I am missing the steel plates for the ring mount that go underneath the floor. Anybody know where I can get some? Or a pattern for them that I can take to a Fabrication shop to have made?

waayfast

Looking good!

Just a heads up for you. I had Les Schwab sandblast the wheels I found for my WLF wrecker. WAAY faster and cheaper than I could do it myself. Very nice job but I was amazed at the texture of the wheels. I'm guessing that because they are sandblasting to apply powdercoat, they must use some pretty coarse grit. My wheels almost look like a hammered texture. It won't bother me any -I'll just lay on extra primer to help fill. Not going to the national show, it's mostly a work truck with an occasional local car show or parade. (and picking up the grandkids from school!8)).

Since it's a 1945 model, I've chosen 319 from Rapco for color and PPG DP40 for bare metal primer.

Jim

Wolfen

Got the wheels and tires back from Les Schwab yesterday. Got them mounted on the truck now. Found out I either need to rebuild on vacuum wiper motor or buy one that is functional. I also need to rivet some parts onto the body. Unfortunately, I don't have a rivet gun. I will probably have to pay a body shop to do it.

waayfast

Some guys are using button head allenhead type bolts to attach, then filling in the head to replicate a rivet. If you fill it with Bondo, at least you can pick the head clean and still unbolt the thing later if you need to.

Jim

Wolfen

I now have six new tires on the truck. Will have two spares later this week. Should be roadworthy soon. I have acomplete gun mount for a WC that I am interested in selling. I have the ring, legs, and cradle as well as the nuts and bolts. What would be a fair price? I can send pictures if you want. Shipping will be extra. I can put it on a pallet, but the trucking company will need a forklift or a pallet jack. I can not help load, and I don't have a pallet jack, or forklift. Plus, the pallet would be on gravel.

Wolfen

The brakes have been bled and now function correctly. The engine is running great and I got everything greased and oiled yesterday. Next on the list is a engine oil and filter change. Then I will take it out for a test drive.

Wolfen

Test drive went great yesterday. The engine worked great and the clutch worked properly, and the transmission shifted fine. The brakes worked well also.

Wolfen

Got full coverage insurance on it this week from Hagerty. Still need to get it titled and registered in my name. Thanks to Les Schwab, I now have two spare tires. Still need to do some odds and ends such as engine oil and filter change, mount the rest of the tail gate brackets, and the draft pads and a few other things. I have the canvas and the data plates on order. Still trying to sell the machine gun mount if anyone is interested. I wish someone made doors for the open cab dodges.
The frame number on my WC63 is: 82317088. Can someone calculate the hood number? Also, can anyone out there make the map board and the tool box lids for a WC63?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfen

WC63 ran great doing the parade. No pictures due to the fact that I was driving. There were a bunch of MV's that arrived after me in a convoy. Unfortunately, even though I reached out to them, I was greeted with hostility because I dared to criticize their lack of communication about the event on the MVCoO page on FB. No contact info or any info about the event. My complaint was, if they wanted more MV's in the parade, they should have mentioned it on club FB page. My last parade or event. I will just drive it around on weekends when I feel like it. I don't need the drama. So sad. I thought we were supposed to try and build the hobby. Apparently I was wrong. I will not be attending any club events due to these people. One woman in particular who was very rude to me.

Wolfen

Last two weekends, I've taken it out on the backroads around here. Yesterday, I drove it to work to show my co-workers. I need to take and post some more pictures.
Does anyone have any tips for bleeding the brakes on a WC63? I installed a new master cylinder and wheel cylinders and have bled the brakes several times, but I still have air in the lines and have to pump the brakes to get a firm brake petal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Ahab

. Unfortunately, even though I reached out to them, I was greeted with hostility because I dared to criticize their lack of communication about the event on the MVCoO page on FB. No contact info or any info about the event. Apparently I was wrong. I will not be attending any club events due to these people. One woman in particular who was very rude to me.
Aw, the poor dears.

Their kitty-feelings got all hurt apparently because you pointed out to them what should have been completely obvious.

Bless their little hearts.

AAA.jpg

Maybe I missed it here, but did you ever get a story about that rig's service? Where it "did duty' (if any)?

Wolfen

Also, the Admin for the page, (which is not controlled by the MVCCO despite its name) banned me from posting for 1 week. I did not use foul language or threaten anyone. I did not even get any notice or explanation for why I was banned. Apparently, someone was butthurt. So I left the page.

Wolfen

Service

I have no idea where it served. I have not found any hood numbers. One person said that the VIN, was within the range for these trucks, but another person said, that the VIN was for a 1950's Dodge truck. So I'm confused. The only data plate on it, was for the bed of the truck. All of the data plates for the dash were missing. I'm thinking, that it is a early WC63 despite having the late composite bed. I think this, because it has the early seats, push-pull light switch, and Zenith carb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks