• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alvis Stalwart

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello guys I have a couple questions and am looking for opinions and thoughts please. It seems that I may have the opportunity to get my hands on an Alvis Stalwart its been sitting out in a pasture for the last 9 years and that was probably about the last time the engine was running. The vehicle ran, had brakes, steered and drove around then. I have not seen it for maybe 5 years and it looks complete but its certainly not something I see every day either. I have been asking the owner about it for years and it looks like I may have fount a chink in HIS armor and may get a chance to make an offer.

My questions
1. How available are parts for these rigs?
2. what do you guys feel would be a realistic price to pay for something like this considering that is complete?
3. I know that I have told you only the most rudimentary information, but with only that what do you think would be needed to get it back to good mechanical condition
4. What are the pricey parts to these vehicles?
5. Am I realistic in looking to try to restore one of these vehicles, and if I got it and spent the money to get it all completed and running (I can do all the work myself) will I have so much more into it than it will ever be worth in resale value?

Thanks much guys this is a vehicle that we sure dont see very many of in the US and I just hat to see it turning back into the ground because of neglect, I almost said rust but its made of aluminum! Thanks again and any and all thoughts are highly appreciated!!!

Karl

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of good info on some other forums and in the other thread. They share drive train with some other vehicles ( Saracen ) and suffer from drive train wind up if driven on hard surface. They are also hard to get in and out of as the only access is through the roof hatch. Lots of fun if they are working well. Good luck. Eddy

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys I will try to get hold of Stalwart and see if he has some advice on this subject but you guys got me pointed in a direction and that is a start.
Thanks much!
Karl

dmetalmiki

They do have transmission problems, and for what they are, they use fuel like it was going out of fashion,
I have never been a fan of the rolls engine either with it's starting and running problems. There have been complete vehicles sold for spares for as little as £1500-£3000 over here.
Non of the 'B' series engines were up to much in our opinion.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Guys

I met with the fellow that has the Alvis Stalwart in his yard, I was treading very lightly around the issue, I felt like I was asking a girl to prom, but we finally got around to the subject and he didnt say NO, but he did say you better bring your BIG check book! OK so that means that the truck IS ACTUALLY FOR SALE!! I was astounded to have gotten this far but that is good RIGHT?
Right along with the good feeling of possibly doing this deal comes the FEAR of holy crap what if I do get this deal? What am I getting myself into? I have left a PM for Stalwart but no reply yet and I do have a few questions that if anybody can give some ideas on would be great!

1. the truck has been sitting for 9 years, it ran and drove to this parking spot, its sitting outside, do you have any ideas what the expense might be to get it up and running and driving and stopping again?
2. Parts BIG BIG question where, who has them and can I buy them?
3. WHAT IS A REASONABLE PRICE TO PAY FOR A TRUCK LIKE THIS IN THE CONDITION YOU WOULD EXPECT IT TO BE IN BASED ON WHAT i HAVE TOLD YOU????

Thats enough to start with!
Thanks very much guys If it were and American or German truck I would not be SO IN THE DARK on this!

Karl

dmetalmiki

You will not need a cheque book, The petty cash in the door pocket will do nicely.
Done up (like a dogs dinner), and running 100%, (Which is a rarity!). They are sold over here where there a ton of spares for them, (Needed often!). BEST price £5000, to £8000.
Anything else,from £800 upwards.
Not running not painted not known about, No wading kit, £1500 tops.
Be CAREFUL.
The engines are quirksome, and the suspensions and drive train an unreliable nightmare.
Sorry, My 1/2 penne'th.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys dmetalmiki this unit has the full swim kit with the Dowty jets and yes I have read they are another weak spot on the vehicle requiring MORE maintenance on top of some already very weak systems on the vehicle. Do you know of a way I can identify if the engine in this unit is of the "B" classification? And if it is that is just one more strike against it by the sound of it. I PMed Stalwart and have not heard back I will try JimK also and see if I have any luck. Thanks again guys!
Karl

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robin I saw that truck it looks pretty nice, not even close to the one I am looking at. Robin what country is this in, and what type of money is the quoted cost of this vehicle, I see 10,000 but ten thousand WHAT?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks