• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M322 LT , Between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

BRob18E

Hello to all and thank you for reading the listing.

I have a M322 LT Equipment trailer (item number 1683430, https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...3430?h=5000,q|1683430&rr=1&hitprm=&pnLink=yes) on Gov Planet. After posting this on UShip, the shipper loaded up the trailer with other loads (The trailer was missing tires on the front axle) and now has blown one of the tires on the rear axle. I'm assuming it is amateur hour because anyone that would load a trailer that is missing two tires makes me scratch my head and wonder. But with that said, I'll looking for anyone that can help this carrier get back on the road. If there is anyone that can sell me 3 425/65R22.5 tires that can assist him, I would purchase the tires or if anyone has or knows anyone in the area, I'm open to suggestions. If anyone has two hubs (It looks like someone at the base took the two front hubs and tires) I would be interested in purchasing them.

My number one goal is to find someone in the area that may be able to lend the transporter a hand getting a new tire put on this trailer. He seems to be out of his league with the text messages he is sending me in panic mode.

Please fee free to contact me anytime.

Respectfully,

Brian Roberts
513-939-5930
US Army Special Forces (Veteran)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you need to have him file a insurance claim for damaging your trailer , let his insurance company buy your new tires.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advice to you is to have a hd wrecker come get it and put in storage. Then send a new carrier to haul the trailer the rest of the way on top of another trailer. It is not safe to tow a trailer with the axle chained up like that clear across the United States. The tires pictured in the auction listing are hideous.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He loads YOUR trailer with stuff that HE is getting paid to haul-on YOUR trailer and wants you to now replace a tire? This is all on him. Period. What did he load on it?

BRob18E

He loads YOUR trailer with stuff that HE is getting paid to haul-on YOUR trailer and wants you to now replace a tire? This is all on him. Period. What did he load on it?
He said he had "3" other loads yet he only showed me a picture of two motorcycles on the front of the trailer. I asked him what his 3rd load was and where on his truck he was he hauling it and didn't get a reply. I'm assuming something heavy on the back of my trailer over the axles. I've purchased many military vehicles and almost every one of them had cracked tires. Non of which I have ever had blow out on me. I purchased another MTV last Wednesday with the crane on the back and I'm certain I can drive that home just fine as well. I believe he weighted this down and the tire was rubbing on something, or rubbed when he hit a bump or something. I don't know for sure but regrooveable military tires typically have always held up for me. I know many people will probably write and say that's not the case, but that's my experience. I had one tire ever blow on me that that was in Iraq in 2006. We drove till the tire ripped off and then drove it to base on the rubber cored rim.

18operator

So.... The carrier you hired and is charging you to bring a trailer back to Ohio has loaded it with other items for different customers wants you to pays for a new tire? That's not right! I think at the very least he owes you a new tire. Then after that I think he should only charge you from the last stop he's made. (Because he's using your trailer to make money for himself)!!
Unless you are a personal friend of the guy and this is the deal you set up, it seems kinda shady.
Just my 2cents.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So...putting the driver and his practices aside for now let's see what you need to get going. This list will show you why this needs to be trailered, and not pulled, across the country.

Let's say you manage to find 3 tires and wheels...and a pair of hubs...with drums. You do realize that the end of the left front spindle is missing, right? There's a nice clear picture of it. There's no getting around that. Your absolute best scenerio is having only 3 tires on the ground now.

There are no air lines in the tongue box and the brakes have been caged. That driver is pulling that trailer, apparently loaded, without any brakes....on two wheels. Given the destroyed spindle in the front, I'd question bearing condition of the only other 2 hubs.

Trailer weighs a little over 12k empty. While those 2 tires WERE easily rated for that....they are not now because they're crispy. Add whatever load he is hauling (you know the one he doesn't want to talk about!) to that, and the other tire will go boom as well.

That driver is going to get stopped by every DOT guy from CA to OH running down the road like that. How is he running the trailer lights anyways? Picture this...driver gets put out of service due to trailer condition. Driver drops trailer so he can continue on. That's not going to go well for you.

Just step back and look at this whole situation. Get it trailered and find a fully dressed replacement axle. There are some floating around.

If your driver can't trailer it then find another driver that can. Sorry this isn't very positive but I just don't see many positive things taking place trying to drag that thing around as it is.

BRob18E

I would agree, its not the safest way to travel. I did NOT know this man/company. I accepted his bid for delivery on UShip. At this point its the cost. I would rather eat the $1000 loss and leave it vs getting to much more in transportation cost. I don't know if he will try to keep the shipping money. I live my life with values and morals but many do not. If I get into the cost of having another transporter pick it up, unless its a "Steel Soldiers" lets look after each other type thing, then its better for me to eat the $1000 I paid for it and try to re-coupe my transportation cost. I'm sure at this point he would be willing to walk away and return the money, (I'm assuming that). Is there anyone that would be interested in purchasing the trailer where it sits? He doesn't sound to confident to me. If I can recoupe $500 of the cost and get my transportation money back, I'll consider that a win at this point.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So first: let’s find a member in that area to stow it. No sense just walking away. Second if I’m not mistaken the bolt pattern on the hubs is standard Budd so should be able to get a couple tires in to get it moving EMPTY.

Thoughts from the group?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So first: let’s find a member in that area to stow it. No sense just walking away. Second if I’m not mistaken the bolt pattern on the hubs is standard Budd so should be able to get a couple tires in to get it moving EMPTY.

Thoughts from the group?
They are pilot hubs with a .63 offset. Not just any wheel will bolt to it and have the offset to let the tire clear the frame rail in its wheel well.

Any 385 or 425 tire would work. Or any hub pilot wheel with shorter 275 or 255s would work. The XZLs on that trailer are shot. Every trailer that had em were shot

The front axle on that trailer is toast as the spindle is non serviceable.

Find its location out and send a road tire guy to change the tire and have a wrecker co store it till other options open up

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thoughts from the group?
They're hub pilot wheels. They also really need to be close to a 50/50 offset to stay in the wheel humps and not get into the side of the deck. He only has one bump stop left from the pictures, and these trailers have a lot of articulation already, so he'd need a smaller tire like Wes runs to go with a different offset.

The wheels are 22.5" on the trailer now. There is a 20" wheel with a 50/50 offset and hub pilot as well. This could open up some options.

I wouldn't walk away from it, but have it stored until you can get at least some wheels and tires on all 4 corners. The axle is the biggest problem you have.

And I see Wes is a faster typer...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alpha Tread in Tucson has lots of surplus military tires and wheels. Not technically between PHX and Flagstaff but not too far off.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That 425 tire was not used in the military except on that trailer. The tire is used as a steer tire on trucks that need floatation like cement mixers etc. That size is seldom stocked new or used anywhere, and it is expensive, even Chinese Doublecoins are $600. Name brand $800 and up.

BRob18E

Is there anyone that knows of any transport guys that are willing to winch it up on another trailer? The shipper has agreed to cancel the shipment. Now I would need someone else that knows what they are doing to get it here.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For starters, relist it on uShip and tell them that you will need a trucking company that can winch an incomplete (and not roadworthy trailer) up onto their trailer deck. If a trailer with a winch is tough to find, you can hire a wrecker service to lift the trailer onto a trailer. After relisting it on uShip, I would suggest you contact a heavy wrecker company in that area. Many of them have landoll trailers that can be used to haul your trailer back to their yard. See what it would cost to pay them for storage until you can get a truck/trailer to get it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeh, I would plan on lifting it, or at least having a wrecker on hand to help with all that tongue weight while winching. It would be nice if there was a member nearby to assist, at least if nothing else a place to store and load.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A wrecker can use the wheel lift and simply back it on the other trailer. And set it down with the Jacks intact. Winching it means you will have pretzeled jacks

Last edited:

BRob18E

Wes, I have text and called. I know my cousin Ben said you would be in Ohio today so maybe you are busy today, If not, give me a call at your earliest convenience.

Is there anyone else in the Phoenix Flagstaff area that has the capability to get the trailer to Ohio? The Transporter seems to be not interested in doing anything. He just keeps telling me how much it will cost me to rent a trailer and have it lifted onto the rented trailer. This is not acceptable to me. I swear I think I am going to set all transportation up through this site from now on, this is the 3rd shipment from UShip that has ended up being amateur hour for me.

I know a simple 5 minutes of research I can find the answer to my own question, but since we are on the subject, under the transportation tab on this site, is there a list by location of shipping providers and what areas they operate in? The failure rate on UShip is getting out of control on my end.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sent you a PM with a broker's name and #, as well as a trucker I've used previously from CO. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks