• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake shoes issues

dmetalmiki

Make sure the Forward (Located on the backplate) adjusting cam is set correctly.
On the left as you see it in the drum , on the right of the backplate Underneath.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flip them over?

MudMarine

If I remember correctly from other drums, they are position specific. Somebody else back me up or correct me on this! It's been a while since I've done brakes and I haven't done them on my Deuce yet

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the forward cams it's won't compress sideways where the brass bolts and springs are its catching and can't figure out why??
Which brass bolt?

Do the shoes only go one way or are they symmetrical?
Both shoes are identical and both have an upper and lower end. So, not symmetrical.

I am clueless as to why they won't work the brass spacer with spring will not allow it to rest on cam properly no matter which way I flip the shoes.
Brass spacer with spring, where...?:???:

Make sure you have the hold down pin correctly assembled:

Hold down pin assy..PNG

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I was going to suggest photographing the opposite side and compare to the side that your having trouble with, you should see whats not seating correctly.

Sounds like you haven't reassembled something in the right order because by your picture that shoe is not seated right.

Aussie.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I'll check everything tomorrow G and make sure I didn't use 2 of the same shoes up front have to take both sides apart anyhow I'm such a noob;)
We all just worker bees on military trucks here.
I had new shoes and had to grind off burrs heavy paint with a dremel get them to work right after I fixed the broken things.
The location of the posts about that are depicted as on the PDF.
................and a small movie of how it is supposed to be.
cam adj 1.jpg

View attachment brake adjuster repair proof RR tandem IMG_3045.MOV

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you did not melt the brass bolt.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a picture of the repair?

davidb56

I don't have a deuce yet, but if the wheel cylinder is centered with the shoes, then the pins are fine, and the cams are the issue, like it could be missing a spacer behind it. If the wheel cylinder is not centered, then the pins are the issue. Assuming the shoes are correct. Is the clearance between the shoe and the backing plate even from top to bottom?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks