• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NW PA: Anybody willing to let me test drive an m35a2?

13ronin

I've been thinking about a deuce for about 6 months now and think I've decided I really do want to make the leap as soon as is financially feasible (hopefully this summer/fall). I've found a place I should be able to park near my house, examined some financial considerations, etc, but since I've never driven one, I'm not sure if I'd actually ENJOY it. When I was wanting to buy an AR, I shopped and researched and had everything all picked out and when I went to the range to shoot one, i found the whole experience VERY anticlimactic. Glad I didn't spend the money cause it would be sitting in my closet collecting dust if I did. So I figure taking one for a spin and talking with an owner in depth would be a prudent prerequisite.

I have a class c and m license, no points, no violations for like 10 years. Have valid full coverage insurance on my two vehicles. Driven 20' u haul boxes cross country and ran a few routes in a delivery truck. No expert in a large trucks but not a total novice either. Been driving manuals for 20 years. I'm out of Sharon, Pa.

Thanks in advance for containing you laughter and if you cant, well I dont blame you. Cheers.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you come up to Canada, I can't help you, but I commend you for reaching out prior to jumping in. Good luck and I am sure someone will make that happen for you!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, you're welcome to come out to the farm. Just imagine a big ol' slow diesel truck, no comforts, and a 22" steering wheel because there is no power steering. What was anticlimactic about the AR? Haven't had a shooter yet that did not
like shooting one.

Doug Roberts

"I've found a place I should be able to park near my house" <~~~ This my friend is a serious problem. Without anymore information, I am advising you against this

13ronin

Theres a garage across the street from my house the owner's used to park an RV in. To my understanding its empty at the moment
If I have a successful test run, and am still interested in taking the plunge I'll ask them about renting it. Till then theres bo sense bringing it up. Kinda skipping steps know what I mean?

As for the AR... I dont know. The one i shot WAS pretty negligence, but it jammed, wasn't terribly accurate, and the recoil was more than I expected. We were shooting 5.56 rounds. While it certainly wasn't 30.06 bolt kind of recoil, it was more than my sks. And my sks is more accurate to boot. Like I said it was just anticlimactic.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on how soon you want to make the purchase. There should be several deuces at the VA rally (30 miles north of Charlottesville) over the Labor Day weekend. Haspin in Ohio will be sooner - June I think, where you could also get some seat time.

13ronin

Haspin sounds like it could be fun... a lot closer. What's the showing like there?

Monkeyboyarmy ya man just about an hour south. Hopefully things will keep thawing here for a while

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on how soon you want to make the purchase. There should be several deuces at the VA rally (30 miles north of Charlottesville) over the Labor Day weekend. Haspin in Ohio will be sooner - June I think, where you could also get some seat time.

Haspin is in Indiana 2nd weekend of June.

fasttruck

Survival skills with MVs include reading the reading. Do this first. TMs are available on this site and at flea markets. Do you know how to operate a military light switch ? Get an operators manual, organizational manual and a lubrication order. There are at least 37 grease points on a M35, 4 on the handbrake alone. Neglect them at your own peril. Books are TM 9-2320-209- 10, 20, and LO. These trucks will run for a long time if the operator's maintenance is done including maintain air pressure in the tires and lubrication. A deuce looks ferocious but is little more than a F450 Ford and should be loaded and driven accordingly. If you read the books, especially the preventive maintenance and services sections first you will have some idea of what you are looking at. You can find trucks with million dollar paint jobs that are totally innocent of grease. These vehicles should be carefully checked for worn ball joints, u-joint spiders before settling on a price. Rolling the drive shaft out of these things when a u joint fails is a character building experience. They are also extremely sensitive to operator abuse. Clutch pedal free travel, hacked up wiring and such must be critically looked at. If you don't know, take an experienced person with you to look at trucks.

13ronin

Survival skills with MVs include reading the reading. Do this first. TMs are available on this site and at flea markets. Do you know how to operate a military light switch ? Get an operators manual, organizational manual and a lubrication order. There are at least 37 grease points on a M35, 4 on the handbrake alone. Neglect them at your own peril. Books are TM 9-2320-209- 10, 20, and LO. These trucks will run for a long time if the operator's maintenance is done including maintain air pressure in the tires and lubrication. A deuce looks ferocious but is little more than a F450 Ford and should be loaded and driven accordingly. If you read the books, especially the preventive maintenance and services sections first you will have some idea of what you are looking at. You can find trucks with million dollar paint jobs that are totally innocent of grease. These vehicles should be carefully checked for worn ball joints, u-joint spiders before settling on a price. Rolling the drive shaft out of these things when a u joint fails is a character building experience. They are also extremely sensitive to operator abuse. Clutch pedal free travel, hacked up wiring and such must be critically looked at. If you don't know, take an experienced person with you to look at trucks.
Thanks for some of the telltale to look for. I'm a millwright by trade which is probably why I'm so attracted to these things. Heavy metal machinery is a day at the office for me
. So again thanks for the telltales... every machine is unique.

Ajax MD

This is a great post and applicable to 5 tons as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks