• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a ham radio

Kenneth Cole

HI
I'm installing a 2 Meter radio in my Humvee and I wonder if it is ok to run power straight from one of the batteries or if I should get a 24 to12 volt inverter.

Thanks
Ken

Valor

Use a down converter not just power off from one battery. What kind of radio are you planning on installing, a mobile or an HT? You probably don't need a 40 amp downconverter unless you plan on adding other 12 volt loads. A 20 amp converter would work fine. I am using a 13.8 volt, 20 amp down converter in my M923 with my mobile 2 meter radio. What kind of antenna do you plan on using and what mount? I just use a mag mount. Have fun & 73.

Jericho

I run 5 sets of the same equipment exactly in my trucks, USE A TRANSFORMER 30 amp , your unit can draw some amps in HIGH MODE . if you don't and you tap a single battery here,s the issue you will face, If you slave your truck it will overload the single tap circuit and spike your radio with 24 volts and it blows the protective circuit in the radio, Yahusa loved me , did all five before I noticed it Luckily other than posatage they repaired them all for free, Just wanted to know how I had managed to do all five, 3 were out of WARRENTY they are excellent, still repaired all 5 free. performance is great, hit a repeater and your range is unlimited , I also use firestick and MSA stainless antennas

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the 24v to 13.8 converter. I have it connected to a separate 12 volt, deep cycle battery that I use for all my 12 volt accessories. This way if I run the battery down, my truck still starts. I have used half taps in the past and found it to be hard on the battery. I also fuse both primary and secondary sides of the converter.

Last edited:

Kenneth Cole

Hi
Thanks for the info. I am new to ham radio. I got my tech license last month and just got my general this week. I am really looking forward to getting on the air and plan on getting a HF rig in the home. We live in the mountains in Wapiti valley which is between Cody Wyoming and Yellowstone park. I will get some pictures when I get things hooked up and figure out how to post them.
Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks