• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need info, corvair powered vehicle identification

conny

Found a Military (supposedly) vehicle built in 1960. The ad says, made in 1960, Corvair (probably powered) NCMC MOUNTAIN "VIPER". I cannot find any information on this. Oh yea, it has 7 wheels on each side kinda like a Max or Argo atv. I have asked for photos from seller and hope one or more of you might have info. Thank you.

conny

OH MY GOD!!! That's it!! The couple photos he has shows the front and frontal side. That's it. If I can get it for a reasonable price, I'm buying it. Thank a lot. I knew someone here would know about it. Much appreciated NDT.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do some homework, you gotta know that thing will need 14 tires, and if that size is unavailable, the unit is basically a conversation piece.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And one MPH in still water top speed... Might have to add an Evinrude to the rear deck, but still, VERY cool!
BDGR

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote YES For HISTORICAL PRESERVATION.

I have sure reservations about the cost and/or practicality of acquisition and restoration.

One MPH in the water means you'd better not be beating into a headwind.... Do the math on this. It might be why the test article never made it past the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. I DO like the Evinrude mod suggestion if her contours can handle any greater speeds.

At 4,000+ lbs with a 1,000 lb rated payload capacity she's basically a FLOATING BRICK. That same weight ratio is probably a BIG factor in her very low sea-speeds. I saw no mention of how tolerant she'd be of waves and rough conditions. If her pontoons are sealed it would reduce the risk of being swamped, but if they are not.... GLUB, GLUB... she'd become submersible in a hurry.

Last edited:

conny

Read the article carefully. This was basically a test bed only. Who really knows. Maybe it was used to try the multiple tires system, engine size, maneuverability, anyone's guess. Yes, I have been researching for the tire size. It would help having the tire manufacturer and size right off the original tire. Everything pessimistic you talk about I have thought of already. I don't swim my vehicles just to go swimming. Swam my M29C Floater just to say when I sold it that it did in fact float. I'm taking it a day at a time. Not in any hurry. He wants a small fortune for it so I might not be able to get it cheap. Was told a Museum ask if he would donate it with the answer being, no.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the article carefully. This was basically a test bed only. Who really knows. Maybe it was used to try the multiple tires system, engine size, maneuverability, anyone's guess. Yes, I have been researching for the tire size. It would help having the tire manufacturer and size right off the original tire. Everything pessimistic you talk about I have thought of already. I don't swim my vehicles just to go swimming. Swam my M29C Floater just to say when I sold it that it did in fact float. I'm taking it a day at a time. Not in any hurry. He wants a small fortune for it so I might not be able to get it cheap. Was told a Museum ask if he would donate it with the answer being, no.
Thanks, Conny.
Not intending to sound pessimistic. Just thinking out loud of those items I'd be considering myself.

I hope you're able to save it!

conny

Yea me too. Trying to keep myself upbeat. Sorry if I sounded nasty. If I can't get it due to price, I'll post his contact info here if someone else wants it. Yes. there will be a $100.00 finders fee. :)

diesel583

All I can say is keep both eyes open. A lot of these small production vehicles have no parts sources. I own a Kidd it is amphibious (maybe), built to be a tank trainer in the early 70s. Was told it ran, well it did. Good thing I have a machine shop, took months to get it to move. I was kind of disappointed when I finally got to drive it. It sets behind the shop needing $1000 set of tires. Just beware that something that has been sitting 50 years will need everything.

conny

I understand Diesel. He messaged me and the tire info and photos will be Saturday morning. Unfortunately. it's my grandson's Birthday and I'll be gone all day. I will post photos and whatever info I get. If I can't get it maybe someone here might want it.

conny

Ok. Was told photos and information about the vehicle would arrive Saturday. Seems he's a lying SOB. Not playing his game. He wants big money for something that either can or cannot be restored properly. Nothing more disgusting than someone not following through with what they say. Just another irresponsible MoFu.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No big deal. I don't get too excited about prototypes that were FAILURES. They played no part in military history other than amusing some technicians at the proving ground.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is either very busy or distracted, which can be true and forgiven to some degree, or he's courting a less-savvy Rube to try to sell him a pig-in-a-poke. Either way, better to stay calm and detached.
BDGR

Crazyguyla

I wonder if any were swamped and sitting on the bottom of Chesepeak Bay, not that I'd condone any diving around APG. So much bad stuff in the water there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks